• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Inbox by Google app and Gmail app

T

tomhill_007

Hello,

So I have received an invite for Inbox by Google and set it up etc; yay!

From an Android point of view, I do not want to be using the Gmail app and the new Inbox app, therefore what is the best way to stop using the Gmail app? Is there a way to sign out of receiving email through the Gmail app?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Asterather
The best way not to use the Gmail app - just don't use the Gmail app. Like Codesplice turn off notifications if you using them and then I would just tuck it away.

Personally, I'm not sure about Inbox and the way it presents email. I kind like the chronological view for Gmail - new stuff up top and search for everything else. But it my just be case of getting use to the new.

Upvote 0
Not quite. You'd normally say (for example), "note to self, wash the car." Google Now would respond by saying "Saving note." If Gmail is the only app you have installed that can handle the "Note" intent, it will send you the note reminder as a Gmail message. However, Evernote and Notif Pro (and probably others) can also handle the intent… but only if Gmail is installed and running. I did a lot of head scratching before I figured this one out. I ended up using Notif Pro, but have Gmail installed with its icon hidden. In fact, I don't even have an email account configured - the app just has to be there is all. If not, Google Now responds with something to the effect, "no app able to send note."

Just so that we stay on topic, I wonder if anyone with Inbox and Google Now installed can try disabling Gmail to see if "Note to self" still works?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones