1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Accessories Incipio SILICRYLIC v. Seidio Innocase Active Review

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kingkong8247, Feb 22, 2011.

1. kingkong8247

kingkong8247 Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2011
    This is my first post on this forum so I figured I'd make it a good one. I just received my Incredible the beginning of last week and I thought I need a case for it immediately. I don't really like the all rubber ones and I wanted to get one to protect the camera that sticks out.

I searched around for all the different cases but I landed on the Seidio innocase active and really liked this case. I read about all the problems people were having with the hard case chipping after only a couple of weeks. It was not only a few people but it seemed like everyone had this problem. Since it was the majority of the people I decided to hold off on buying the case.

I continued my search and found the Otterbox commuter and the Incipio Silicrylic. The otterbox just looked too bulky to me so I chose the Incipio.

I then saw this regarding the chipping issue another member was worried about, posted 12-30-10:
    Great, the original case I really liked apparently has been fixed. So I said screw it I'll get both, try them out, and give a review online since I haven't seen these two compared.

To start I bought both from the manufacturer's website to ensure warranty purposes. I was also able to find discount coupon's online. Incipio had the better price and shipping was better. About $17.50 with free shipping and it came in 3 days.

Seido was about $33 bucks which includes the $5.90 to ship it. This took 5 days but one day was a holiday and the other a Sunday. It was packaged a lot better as well. I know I could have bought it cheaper but I wanted to make sure I received one of the newer cases that had the chipping issue resolved and I wanted to be able to deal with the manufacturer if it does chip instead of some third party.

So onto the review.

I took a lot of pictures and can take more on request. Here is both of the cases without the phone installed. Incipio on the right, Seidio on the left.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Incipio on top
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are pictures of the Incipio with the phone installed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the Seidio with phone
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really like both cases. They both are quality and the price of the incipio cannot be beat for a case of this caliber. I do like the seidio better though. It appears that it will better protect the phone if I drop it since the plastic part of the case covers the entire side and corners very well.

The rubber casing has more of a presence on the front of the phone on the incipio. I immediately noticed that hitting the home button, my finger would be blocked by the rubber and made it difficult. On the seidio, hitting the home button is no problem. The same with the track ball/joystick thing. On the incipio kind of a pain because of the rubber but no problems on the seidio.

The incipio's button covers are a lot better though. It does not take much effort to hit the button on the top to wake the phone but the seidio you really have to push.

The seidio also seems to protect the camera more. I tried to take pictures of the camera in the cases but it is hard to see from the pictures. With the incipio case it is hard to tell if the case keeps the camera lense from resting on a table while the Seidio you can clearly tell by looking at the camera in the case that if it is resting on it's back the camera lense will not come in contact with the table.

The rubber in both cases seems to collect lint from my pocket for those that want to know that.

All in all I am keeping the seidio on my phone and hopefully the case does not peel like others have found.

Any questions or want other pictures, just let me know.

Advertisement

salguod, jbdan, neo6289 and 1 other person like this.
  2. kingkong8247

kingkong8247 Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2011
    To update, it has been about 3 weeks of using the Seido case. It has not started peeling like other reviews have stated on the older ones. I guess their revision to the case worked. I am very happy with the seido case.

3. jbdan

jbdan Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    atl ga usa
    Thanks for the great review and all the pics!

4. d3adeyes

d3adeyes Newbie
    None

Dec 31, 2010
    great review thank you

5. ky90025

ky90025 Newbie
    None

Mar 4, 2010
    Engineer
    Northern California
    Thanks for the great review!

I have the ottobox commuter case and the hard plastic parts are very slippery and hard to grip. How do the two cases compare in terms of grip? Is the hard plastic parts covered with the rubberized coating? Thanks.

6. dspcap

dspcap Well-Known Member
    None

May 16, 2010
    I have the Active and over the weekend, the rubber part ripped in the corner. Very disappointing as I have liked the case. Seidio won't warranty as I have had it more than 6 months. bummer. Besides that, it's a nice case.