• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Incoming Call (While on a Call) = No Contact Info since 2.2?

digitalzombie

Jun 14, 2010
I know there have been sporadic complaints of random things happening (or not happening) since the update this week. So far, I myself haven't had any complaints, but I just noticed that if I get a call WHILE I'm on a call, only the phone number of the new caller shows up, and none of their contact info. I remember the phone showing me everything before, i.e. name/caller ID photo etc.

Is anyone else having this problem or find a way to fix it? I don't think I've reset it by turning it off and pulling the battery yet, not that I know that would do any good, and I'm not doing a factory reset... I've got a ton of apps I'd rather not lose.

>>>>For anything odd or sporadic after the update, where you suffer it and others don't, absolutely start here - How to fix Froyo

I don't see anything in that link to help our situation with the caller ID not showing up.

Actually, the whole first post is addressing it.

The theory is that the system cache or data areas can be screwed up in subtle ways that gives different-appearing defects from phone to phone - but the factory reset is a general-purpose fix because it clears those areas out so that the operating system and apps can work correctly, as designed.

This has proven true for 95% of the many cases we've collectively tracked on this for approximately the past few weeks - there are literally many hundreds of success stories trying it out.

Rather than chasing one symptom - such as this issue - at a time, it simply attempts to attack the root cause for your particular problem today, no contact info on call, to others lurking around the corner.

Because once those areas get borked, it's not if, it's when you'll see other troubles.

That said - it's only a 95% cure so if you want to find a specific fix for your immediate problem, OK, no problem - but do bookmark that site. The updates for this phone have proven that sooner or later, you're highly likely to need that advice.

And if you never do a factory reset - I'd strongly urge you to use it to develop your backup strategy. It's a phone, they're not forever, and backups have a way of being needed most when you don't have one.

Upvote 0
I went through Earlymons steps and I am still having this problem. Any suggestions would be great. Should I reset it again?

There's only a few outlying cases where a second reset claimed to fix things.

I'd think it's time for us to look for other causes in your case, as I've heard from people that this has worked for them.

If you're using Gesture Search, maybe begin by re-indexing that - it's under the GS menu options.

Upvote 0
I went back to Best Buy to do further troubleshooting. We found out that the same thing was happening to all the Evos we tested not just mine. Call waiting WITH name will show on your phone if both calls were generated by people you have in your contacts. We tested 3 Evos. Mine, the tech's and the store Evo. Mine and the tech's had contacts synced with Google and the store one did not. Please see if you can replicate this on your phone. We had it happen on all the phones.

1. Call someone from your contact
2. Have someone else from your contact call you
3. See if Call-waiting shows name and number

The result we found. If you generated the first call to someone in your contacts and a call came in from someone else in your contacts, the Call-waiting showed ONLY the phone number without the name. If on the other hand both calls were generated by people in your contacts, the Call-Waiting showed the name AND number.

The tech determined that it may be a Sprint or HTC software glitch. I did not have this before 2.2. Please let me know what you see.

Reactions: Spydertrader
Upvote 0
Good test. Now hopefully someone can put it to good use.
I went back to Best Buy to do further troubleshooting. We found out that the same thing was happening to all the Evos we tested not just mine. Call waiting WITH name will show on your phone if both calls were generated by people you have in your contacts. We tested 3 Evos. Mine, the tech's and the store Evo. Mine and the tech's had contacts synced with Google and the store one did not. Please see if you can replicate this on your phone. We had it happen on all the phones.

1. Call someone from your contact
2. Have someone else from your contact call you
3. See if Call-waiting shows name and number

The result we found. If you generated the first call to someone in your contacts and a call came in from someone else in your contacts, the Call-waiting showed ONLY the phone number without the name. If on the other hand both calls were generated by people in your contacts, the Call-Waiting showed the name AND number.

The tech determined that it may be a Sprint or HTC software glitch. I did not have this before 2.2. Please let me know what you see.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones