• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incoming caller tunes

There is good news and bad news. The good news is basically every phone supports it. The bad news is that the reason most phones support it is because this is done through the network not on your phone so you have to pay t-mo something like 1.49 a month for it and you are limited to their selection of music which is a pretty big selection but is still somewhat limited, especially if your into lesser known bands

Upvote 0
I got rid of mine. They wouldn't work about 70% of the time. My callers would hear a dead line until I picked up. Plus, you have to buy the songs for a year... not permenent, PLUS you have a monthly fee. All in all, caller tunes are a rip-off, in my opinion. Beyond the lack of ringer most of the time, most of my friends did NOT like caller tunes. Two thirds asked me to turn it off for them, and juts have the normal ring.

Upvote 0
Honestly, does anyone want to hear some song you happen to like?

I wish there was an option to not hear my firends caller tunes. Nothing I hate more then calling someone and then getting blasted in the ear by bearly audible song that sounds like an AM radio playing under the belly of a whale... //end rant

Upvote 0
http://www.youmail.com

this isn't callertunes but for voicemail. lots of functionality. personalize for each caller, visual voicemail, save voicemails as mp3s, & lots more. it even has this "smart" vm system that automatically greets the caller by their name. i don't know if you can choose the G1 as your phone yet but selecting any phone should get you through the majority of the setup. now that i have it i can't do without. plus it's FREE!

Upvote 0
wow, i checked, out youmail.com, looks really cool. what keeps them in business since this appears to be *free*?? really like how friends/family can receive their own personalized message! currently i'm using phonetag.com, which like youmail sends my caller's messages to my email as an mp3 file, with the *addition* of a written (transcribed) text message to my phone. i love this part because i simply *read* the message instead of having to listen to it, which is great if the messages arrive during a meeting, seminar, dinner, movie, church, whatever. they *don't* however have the option for individual greetings like youmail *and* it's not free. not that expensive, but not free either. i cancelled my tmobile voicemail option and just set the phone to forward the call to phonetag if it goes unanswered, and busy or in a no-signal area, just like it guess you'd do with youmail as well.

question tho...i'm assuming tmobile charges us something for forwarded calls? or is that considered like a call from the phone as if we called the number ourselves? i've checked my bill and can't find any charges applied for forwarded calls though...hmmm.

i'd really like youmail the best if it had the transcription option, and especially since it's free! (i still don't know how they make money, couldn't see any covert advertising i or the caller has to listen to for offsetting the free service. any ideas on that anyone?

i'm still going to try youmail and see if i like it better, tho i'll probably miss the messages sent to me in an sms text...time will tell.

Upvote 0
you are in luck because youmail also offers the transcribed text messages sent via sms and email if you so choose. the transcription isn't totally perfect but you have the option to calibrate it each time you receive a message so it can learn to be better. (i'm starting to sound like i work for youmail. sorry, i just friggin love it)

as far as the minutes go, i used to work as a rep for t-mo and i cannot guarantee this but in the past every line had a hidden bucket of 500 minutes per month for voicemail. it was just kinda there so voicemail didn't come out of regular minutes. And since almost no one uses their voicemail for more than 500min/month no one ever really asked about it or really acknowledged it was there. i would assume since voicemail is forwarded to youmail it would use those same minutes. its been a while since i worked there so maybe if a a current tmo rep is in the forums they could verify that.

they do have a few ads once you have created an account and login via the website. but once you are setup you don't really have to use the website all that often. the ads i see as i'm moving thru the site now are just typical banners and nothing so annoying that it would prevent you from using the service.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones