• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incoming/Outgoing calls are silent! Help!

Timaphillips

Android Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2009
About once a week I need to do a battery pull on my DROID because both incoming and outgoing calls are silent. I'm not sure if the caller on the other end can hear me or not.

In the meantime, I've switched my vocoder options back to the factory default to see if maybe that helps. Really, it's a shot in the dark, but it's a start.

Not sure if it's a 2.0.1 issue or not.

The only time I see this is when I've been playing audio through the headphone jack, and pull it to answer a call. Often it won't allow me to hear the audio through the speaker or phone, and I end up just leaving the headphones/FM transmitter in to field the call.
Any time it happens, a reboot fixes the issue.

Upvote 0
Hmm... I use my phone as my media player in my car. I wonder if simply pulling the audio jack out when I leave my car and not actually closing and media app causes this? That's actually why i continue to use the default media app instead of a 3rd party one. The others continue to play through the phone's speaker after the aux jack is pulled. It gets pretty annoying.

Upvote 0
Bump

I tried exiting the media app and the problem still happens. I also tried killing it through running services in the settings menu with no luck either. The curious thing is that it works if I use the speaker phone. Turning the phone off and back on works, but is obviously not a workable long-term solution.

Upvote 0
I had this happen to me last night; I had to power-cycle to get my phone calls working again.

I was just using the music player as well (with headphones plugged in) before unplugging the cable as I left the car ...

Interesting ... I'll try to duplicate the issue later today.

I really do think it's the music app causing the problem. Unfortunately, killing the app doesn't fix it. Only a reboot helps. Hopefully 2.1 comes out and will fix it.

Upvote 0
This was happening to me also, but hasn't happend again for quite awhile. Maybe it's coinsidence, but since I started killing the power on my car stereo BEFORE turning off the Music app, I haven't had any more issues (knock on wood)... maybe give that a shot?

Worth a try.

I don't have any headphones at my desk here at work, but I wonder if this happens when using headphones?

Assuming it only does this to people who user their phone in their car and not to headphone users, this would be something to look at.

Upvote 0
it's not just the music app. it's because it pauses when you pull the cable. all you need to do is pause the music, then pull the cable. you shouldn't have to close it down. it happens with pandora too. you could just answer the call and talk hands free. you will hear them through the stereo and they will still hear you through the phone's mic.

Upvote 0
it's not just the music app. it's because it pauses when you pull the cable. all you need to do is pause the music, then pull the cable. you shouldn't have to close it down. it happens with pandora too. you could just answer the call and talk hands free. you will hear them through the stereo and they will still hear you through the phone's mic.

?

Ok, so it's anything that you are using that is using the aux jack. Still, when connected through a car stereo it causes the ear speaker to mute. Assuming it doesn't do this with headphones.

And it's not an issue of one instance when someone calls me when I'm in my car listening to music. I drive in to work listening to music, unplug and get on with my day. Then I have to reboot so I can hear people.

Upvote 0
?

Ok, so it's anything that you are using that is using the aux jack. Still, when connected through a car stereo it causes the ear speaker to mute. Assuming it doesn't do this with headphones.

And it's not an issue of one instance when someone calls me when I'm in my car listening to music. I drive in to work listening to music, unplug and get on with my day. Then I have to reboot so I can hear people.

it does it with headphones also. but like i said, if you pause the music THEN unplug the cable, you should be fine. since i have started following those steps, i have not gone silent a single time.

Upvote 0
it does it with headphones also. but like i said, if you pause the music THEN unplug the cable, you should be fine. since i have started following those steps, i have not gone silent a single time.

Noted. The movement of the aux jack while it is active must be causing problems. I don't know how to address this with Motorola, but if anyone can start something, I'm sure other less vocal owners would appreciate this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones