1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Inconsistent Battery Life

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tandy400, Aug 14, 2012.

1. tandy400

tandy400 Lurker

Battery life with the S3 has been pretty inconsistent for me. Sometimes I can go two days off the charge, while others I am lucky to get 8 hours. Currently I am getting 18min./%, while one day over the weekend I was getting about 60min./% while in standby. Tried running ATK and the regular task manager to close all programs and clear the memory, but the discharge rate stays the same. Even turning off Wifi/Data network doesn't help.

Are there any good diagnostic apps to determine what is killing my battery?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. UserName872

UserName872 Android Enthusiast

Right off the bat... Get rid of ATK. Anything beyond the stock task manager is causing your battery performance more harm than good. I am tied up at work and unable to explain but a couple quick searches of the forums or perhaps someone with a free minute could explain why the first thing you need to do is can the task killer.

3. CDPlant

CDPlant Android Expert

4. tandy400

tandy400 Lurker

Just to follow up - I ditched ATK for an app called "Watchdog" from Zomut as mentioned on the LifeHacker article above - instead of just killing apps willy nilly, it will alert you if an app is consuming too much CPU (not RAM) while on standby. As it turns out, there was an "Android media process" task that was eating up 50% of my CPU. From what I read through a couple forums, it is due to a corrupted file somewhere - so I unmounted my SD card, killed the process, and haven't had the problem since. Fully charged my phone last night and I've been running 14 hours off the charge, currently at 77%, and expected to last another 60 hours on standby! I am also running on power saving mode with Wifi and GPS off. Thanks for your help!

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews