1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Incorrect location from weather data providers

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jaypeecee, Jan 6, 2012.

1. jaypeecee

jaypeecee Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 14, 2011
    Male
    Chartered Electronics Engineer
    Berkshire, England
    Hi Folks,

I've had an HTC Wildfire S since the beginning of November last year. Just recently, the stock weather widget on the home page has consistently been reporting my location incorrectly. As a consequence, the resulting weather forecast has been less than helpful. My location is frequently shown as - wait for it - United Kingdom. So, that's anywhere from Land's End to John O'Groats!

I decided to investigate and found that the HTC widget takes the raw weather data from Accuweather. Then, I looked at News & Weather, which is a stock app installed on the phone as purchased. It had my location identified correctly. News & Weather uses The Weather Channel as a raw data provider. So, I installed The Weather Channel app and, sure enough, it correctly identified my location. I then tried installing Yahoo! Weather and, once again, it correctly identified my location. Yahoo! Weather uses The Weather Channel as a weather data provider. I have my phone set for coarse location using Wi-Fi/Mobile Data. GPS is only used as required. Throughout this whole exercise, Google Maps has pinpointed my location very accurately.

I hope this information will be helpful to those people who, like myself, could not make sense of what was going on. :thinking:

Good luck!

JPC

Advertisement

2. peterf

peterf Newbie
    None

Dec 1, 2010
    Hi Jaypeecee. This has been puzzling me as well. Plenty of comments also on Digital Spy site under "mobiles" but no answer there. What weather app did you finally settle with and does this overide the default app?
    Thanks

3. jaypeecee

jaypeecee Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 14, 2011
    Male
    Chartered Electronics Engineer
    Berkshire, England
    Hello Peter,

Thanks for the reply.

The weather app that I'm likely to go with is called Weather Forecast: UK by Onjara Software. It's available as a freebie or paid version. It's a no bells'n'whistles package but it gets my location right and it's less than 1MB (important on the Wildfire S). It takes raw data from the Met Office. Yahoo! Weather does the job as well. Neither of these overrides the default apps and widgets.

All the best!

JPC

4. peterf

peterf Newbie
    None

Dec 1, 2010
    Hi.Thanks for that. I'll keep you posted.

Regards

Peter