• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Increased life for Desire battery - Really works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I turned my phone on 13 days ago after doing this method. My battery is still at 86%.

It really works!

Have you used your phone or only let it idle?

All reports and comments are useless if you don`t tell us how you have used your phone and which apps and service you have in use.

For me it was no better life.Tried to shut down all apps and tested in idle during the night and no use. It showed no improvements on the batteri at all.

Upvote 0
Have you used your phone or only let it idle?

All reports and comments are useless if you don`t tell us how you have used your phone and which apps and service you have in use.

For me it was no better life.Tried to shut down all apps and tested in idle during the night and no use. It showed no improvements on the batteri at all.

He was being sarcastic, methinks.

Upvote 0
Didn't work for me.

BT, Wireless and Sat-Nav constantly on (why turn them off?). Texting through the day and browsing the net / eBay app.

I've just bought a load of chargers to solve the issue.

I have the original charger which is the main one when I'm in bed.
Spare HTC charger in my bag for when I'm in hotel rooms.
12v Socket Car charger for when using the sat-nav or needing a top-up before I get to the usual charging locations.
Lastly, a retracting USB charger for when I'm at work if I need it.

Upvote 0
I know what you mean. I leave my washing machine and tumble dryer on all day even if there are no clothes in them.

Not quite the same analogy there. You have described turning a whole device (washing machine) on all day - that is the same as saying you turn your phone on all day.

A better analogy would be of the features of the washing machine when you are using it - for example turning off the 'low noise spin' feature as it will use a bit more electricity..

w
I mean what's the point in turning them off? I like them to be ready when I am. :)

Yah, spot on!

Upvote 0
Not quite the same analogy there. You have described turning a whole device (washing machine) on all day - that is the same as saying you turn your phone on all day.

A better analogy would be of the features of the washing machine when you are using it - for example turning off the 'low noise spin' feature as it will use a bit more electricity..

Yah, spot on!

well, if we're going to be pedantic about it, he is technically right, if he is considering the whole house as a single power consuming unit, much like the phone, with the washing machine and whatever else he said, being components in the house that can be used when needed, much like the BT, wireless and sat nav! :p

Upvote 0

This person here:

...he is technically right, if he is considering the whole house as a single power consuming unit, much like the phone...

Has got the point. But I admit I was unclear. ;)

Upvote 0
Worked for mine. It is hardly used, I have 1 hour updates on Data for 3 email accounts, 5 or so texts during the day, no sat nav or wifi at work, sits in my drawer, 30 mins of internet use (again Data), nothing running in the background (have TaskKiller). I used to get to work on a full charge and leave on half, now it only goes down between 1 and 2 bars (stock HTC battery usage thing), at the moment the icon is still showing a full battery 7 hours into work. Very pleased, thanks for sharing this

Upvote 0
It did not make any difference in my battery life. I must be one of the unlucky ones...

I firmly believe that this "solution" is actually nonsense. Most users who complain about the battery life seem to have the phone in its default settings i.e. synching online every few minutes and with widgets draining power.

Take control of your device by switching off pointless widgets and manually synching stuff and you'll find the difference is remarkable.

The switching your phone on and off is utter bs. That's not how batteries work.

This "solution" smacks of superstition.

Upvote 0
I firmly believe that this "solution" is actually nonsense. Most users who complain about the battery life seem to have the phone in its default settings i.e. synching online every few minutes and with widgets draining power.

Take control of your device by switching off pointless widgets and manually synching stuff and you'll find the difference is remarkable.

This "solution" smacks of superstition.
Really? Have you even tried this method? It DOES make a difference even on non-Desire owners.

Upvote 0
:mad:
Absolutely. I simply cannot understand how people fall for this nonsense.

How can you make such sweeoping statements just because it didn't work for you. It has 100% worked for me. I have not had a single episode of needing to charge my phone before bed since doing this. So it HAS worked for ME, just a shame it didnt work for YOU. But I haven't fallen for any nonsense as it's simply improved MY PHONE'S battery life. Thank you.

Upvote 0
:mad:

How can you make such sweeoping statements just because it didn't work for you. It has 100% worked for me. I have not had a single episode of needing to charge my phone before bed since doing this. So it HAS worked for ME, just a shame it didnt work for YOU. But I haven't fallen for any nonsense as it's simply improved MY PHONE'S battery life. Thank you.

The problem is on this post is that you get people who are saying "OMG I GET LIKE 3 DAYS OUT OF MY PHONE", which I kinda have to say you're talking bollocks!

Where it has boosted the battery life for me a bit, it's nowhere near the amount people are talking about on here.

Upvote 0
The problem is on this post is that you get people who are saying "OMG I GET LIKE 3 DAYS OUT OF MY PHONE", which I kinda have to say you're talking bollocks!

Where it has boosted the battery life for me a bit, it's nowhere near the amount people are talking about on here.

Ive heard people claim to be getting 3 days way before this. But that's not the issue anyway. It's just the fact that people come on here, a faceless internet forum and call people out telling them something they have experienced is basically BS because it didnt work for them. That's out of order in my opinion. Anyhow I won't be getting involved in any more arguing over wether it works or not as thankfully I now have a phone I don't have to worry about dying on me if I'm out and about without a charger and that's all the convincing I need.

Upvote 0
Ive heard people claim to be getting 3 days way before this. But that's not the issue anyway. It's just the fact that people come on here, a faceless internet forum and call people out telling them something they have experienced is basically BS because it didnt work for them. That's out of order in my opinion. Anyhow I won't be getting involved in any more arguing over wether it works or not as thankfully I now have a phone I don't have to worry about dying on me if I'm out and about without a charger and that's all the convincing I need.
I've always had 24-36 hours from the box.

The only thing I have found is the phone seems to charge quicker, but still uses power exactly the same as it has for the last 5 months.

Upvote 0
"1) Turn your device ON and Charge the device for 8 hours or more

2) Unplug the device and Turn the phone OFF and charge for 1 hour

3) Unplug the device Turn ON wait 2 minutes and Turn OFF and charge for another hour"

How strict do you have to follow this for it to work ?

I followed all of the above steps, apart from the last step, instead of charge for anther hour i left it on charge for just over another 2 hours as i fell asleep.

Would that have mattered or should it have done the trick ? Haven't really noticed a major improvement yet.

Upvote 0
"1) Turn your device ON and Charge the device for 8 hours or more

2) Unplug the device and Turn the phone OFF and charge for 1 hour

3) Unplug the device Turn ON wait 2 minutes and Turn OFF and charge for another hour"

How strict do you have to follow this for it to work ?

I followed all of the above steps, apart from the last step, instead of charge for anther hour i left it on charge for just over another 2 hours as i fell asleep.

Would that have mattered or should it have done the trick ? Haven't really noticed a major improvement yet.

Shouldn't really make a big difference, the last step that is... I followed the guide and can report a massive gain with certainty... say what you want it works... has nothing to do with placebo as I happen to have used my phone more intensively than ever before and instead of maybe 14 hours (with lighter usage) I got just over 24 hours now... there is absolutely no denying it!

Upvote 0
Which is odd, because after you do all that, you have a "dumbphone" just like a phone from 10 years ago.

And although I haven't done the calibration since my phone and battery has been just fine out of the box, I have widgets doing background updates, 3G, GPS, WiFi on at home, all enabled 24/7 and my battery lasts 2 days with my typical usage.
You're 100% right!

Except this has NOTHING to do with the battery.

The calibration procedure has to do with how the phone's battery management software reads the data for voltage, current, life cycle, and temp of the battery pack and reports the current state of charge to the operating system.

If that data is not reset to allow low and high states of charge to be correctly monitored, then the phone will seem to be low on charge when in fact the battery is still at 50% capacity (or whatever the battery level really is at the moment). The calibration procedure resets the phone's software to read the battery correctly at full capacity, and then correctly reports the actual battery level as it is discharged while being used.

If this is the problem with your phone, then the calibration procedure will fix the issue and battery life will be noticeably increased. If you have issues, then I strongly suggest you run this procedure EXACTLY as stated to reset the calibration software.

If it doesn't work, then you may have a bad battery/phone, or you have a rogue app that is sucking the battery life. That latter can be checked by using a code to check battery history (*#*#4636#*#*) entered at the regular dialing pad. Then tap on "Battery history", "Partial wake usage" which shows what has been eating the battery with the screen off. If it's over about 5% for any process, then you have a rogue app eating the battery. You can also check "Other usage" which shows overall usage and again anything over about 5% is eating your battery.

Note that you can't use the "Testing" code right after a restart as everything will read too high. Wait at least a few hours before checking the "Testing" code menu to let the system stabilize and show what's eating the battery.

A quick tip...pressing and holding the Home button will popup the last 8 programs that have been run recently. Once an app has been run, you can use this shortcut to popup the Testing app without having to type in the *# code again and again.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones