• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Incred 2 - restarting issue

futterbly79

Lurker
Jul 10, 2012
I have an Incredible 2 and I've had it for a few months now. For a few weeks my phone kept restarting on it's own. This seemed to start after the newest automatic update. It always happens when I am exiting something (an app, messaging screen, google, etc). This was happening several times a day. It wasn't completely rebooting, it was restarting - I'd get the white screen that said "htc" and everything had to restart. Also, when this happened I'd lose my own contact picture in my messaging screen. That sounds like a small issue and it'd usually reappear on it's own a while later, but it is something that I noticed happened with the restarting.

I called Verizon and explained this to them and they did not have any idea why this was happening. They sent me a new Incredible 2, and 2 days after having the new phone, this one is now doing the restarting thing. I have not downloaded any more apps since the first day I received this new phone, so why this is happening 2 days later, idk.

From what I've read, this can be a RAM issue or a CPU issue. I don't know how that can be since I know others who have Androids with way more apps than I do and that includes the ones that I have on mine. Any ideas as to what the problem is? Anyone else experiencing this? Know how to fix this? If this a RAM or CPU issue, would rooting my phone fix that (being that I could erase the bloatware)? Would rooting my phone even be safe at this point? Could this just be a battery issue, meaning I'd only need a new battery?

Any help would be much appreciated.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones