1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Incredible and Mobile Hot Spot???

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mched, Mar 14, 2011.

1. mched

mched Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    Manager
    Valencia. CA
    Not sure if this in the correct section but here goes.

Today I received my Motorola Xoom.:)
    I do not have it connected to Verizon. I plan to only use Wifi.

i am at work and we do not have Wifi. I decided to turn on my "3G Mobile Hot Spot App" on my Incredible to see if I could connect to the Xoom.
    I have the unlimited plan (29.99) and I do not have or pay extra to have the Mobile Hot spot connectivity.

Low and behold the Xoom was able to connect and I was able to surf the web.

Any ideas as to why it worked?

Advertisement

2. Dobieg

Dobieg Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 14, 2010
    i'm pretty sure the unlimited data plan doesn't relate to the hotspot. the hotspot costs $20/month for 2 gig (i think).
    do you have the mobile hotspot hack on your Incredible? you're sure the xoom is connected to the HTC network?

3. jamor

jamor Android Expert
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    Planet Earth
    I dont think it did work. If you can get another device with wifi and see if there is a hotspot available then it worked.

Connecting to the internet 3g with your xoom is not the same as a wireless hot spot.

Wireless hot spot means other devices can connect to your xooms 3g in the form of Wifi.

4. mched

mched Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    Manager
    Valencia. CA
    I don't have the hack...was planning on doing that today.
    When I turned on the hot spot on my phone and then turned on WiFi on the Xoom it found HTC and I put in the 10 digit code and it connected to It.
    My Xoom is showing as being connected to the HTC network.

5. Dobieg

Dobieg Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 14, 2010
    you could check w/ verizon and see if they have it activated (or not and continue to get it for "free" - haha)

is it possible that another person at your work has their mobile hotspot active? i never changed the default password, so it's possible you are actually using someone elses...?! :)

6. mched

mched Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    Manager
    Valencia. CA
    It's definitely connected to my phone. When I disabled the hot spot on my phone the Xoom disconnected right away.

7. eBalut

eBalut Newbie
    None

Feb 17, 2011
    Connecting and being able to surf the web are two different things. Even without the added hotspot plan, your incredible hotspot can activate and other devices can connect. However, without the plan (or hack), you should be redirected to the hotspot signup page. If you are able to surf though, it is working.

8. mched

mched Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    Manager
    Valencia. CA
    I am able to surf the web but oddly enough, I am unable to login to my Google account or login to the market.
    (I am typing this on the Xoom.)

9. eBalut

eBalut Newbie
    None

Feb 17, 2011
    Well, that's cool. Not sure why it works, but great none the less. Of course, the hack will get you full access. :)

10. DCoy82

DCoy82 Member
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Florida
    I to somehow get Wifi hotspot on my DInc for free. I use it every day at work because my work wireless is routed through a VPN that blocks anything but work related sites, so I use my wifi hotspot on my DInc when I want to surf. I called Verizon about it to verify that I wasn't paying the $20 fee and they told me that I in fact was not paying for the hotspot feature and it should not be working. I hung up on the rep before she could add it or do anything else lol.

The only thing I can think of that is causing it to be free is because I have PDA.NET free tether program installed??? Not sure but I really wish I knew how because my Thunderbolt will be here tomorrow and I think I'll have to start paying for the wifi fee once the April 15th free wifi deal is up :(

11. potterdood

potterdood Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    Male
    Verizon Wireless Tech Support
    Anderson, SC
    ok I think the reason it is working right now is bc verizon is offering the mobile hotspot for free until may 15th or so, I think it had something to do with the launch of the thunderbolt...here is a link, Mobile Hotspot, free 'til 5/15/11 - xda-developers

12. DCoy82

DCoy82 Member
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Florida
    I've had free mobile hotspot somehow ever since the 3g Wireless Hotspot icon appeared in my apps when 2.2 came out :eek::thinking: