• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Incredible - best paperweight EVER

This is the first instance that we, or at least I, have heard of. A hard reset will most likely fix the issue since it seems to be a software issue, not a hardware issue. If the issue comes up again, then it is at that point you should return it.

You keep on assuming that you will have this problem after a hard reset. Have you ever thought that a hard reset would fix this problem?

Upvote 0
Well I was going to try the hard reset, but now I can't boot it up.

This thread pretty much came to life, now my phone really IS a paperweight.

I found it hard to believe that a hard reset would fix it considering it's a problem with the underlying operating system since it has happened to multiple people. A hard reset would install the same underlying software, thus not actually fixing the undrlying issue (I just wanted to see how many times i could say underlying in one paragraph---4).

Soooo any ideas on how to boot? lol

I'll prob go to the VW store after work.

Upvote 0
well i came from winmo. hard reseting is no big deal to me now. flashing custom roms brings about all sorts of bugs. and hard reseting can fix a lot of them.

first off, i have to believe that it is not the phone, but an app that you installed. if it was a hardware problem i think we would be seeing a lot more complaints. don't download free pointless apps if you can help, make sure to read reviews and see if people are having issues.

next a hard reset COULD fix your problem. i have no idea why you can possibly fathom that a hard reset will in no way help you, but simply require you to do it on a monthly basis. a hard reset is even recommended to be performed after initial boot of the phone. once again to just make sure there are no weird little bugs.

now, since you are stuck in a boot cycle, try this. boot into bootloader by holding the vol down button and power. once there connect your phone to your pc/laptop. then run the following rom from the link below:
RUU_IncredibleC_Verizon_WWE_1.22.605.2_Radio_1.00. 03.04.06_hboot_0.79_release_161494_ - PPCGeeks

this is the stock rom that shipped with your phone, it is signed and will install just like you did a hard reset. as long as you cna put your phone into bootloader it will work.

i hope my tone didn't come off like an ass, but you just can't jump to the conclusion that a hard reset will do nothing for you. phone software (at least winmo) can be flaky and mess up sometimes for no reason. i can't explain why it may help, but it MAY, and thats the point. best of luck!

Upvote 0
well i came from winmo. hard reseting is no big deal to me now. flashing custom roms brings about all sorts of bugs. and hard reseting can fix a lot of them.

first off, i have to believe that it is not the phone, but an app that you installed. if it was a hardware problem i think we would be seeing a lot more complaints. don't download free pointless apps if you can help, make sure to read reviews and see if people are having issues.

next a hard reset COULD fix your problem. i have no idea why you can possibly fathom that a hard reset will in no way help you, but simply require you to do it on a monthly basis. a hard reset is even recommended to be performed after initial boot of the phone. once again to just make sure there are no weird little bugs.

now, since you are stuck in a boot cycle, try this. boot into bootloader by holding the vol down button and power. once there connect your phone to your pc/laptop. then run the following rom from the link below:
RUU_IncredibleC_Verizon_WWE_1.22.605.2_Radio_1.00. 03.04.06_hboot_0.79_release_161494_ - PPCGeeks

this is the stock rom that shipped with your phone, it is signed and will install just like you did a hard reset. as long as you cna put your phone into bootloader it will work.

i hope my tone didn't come off like an ass, but you just can't jump to the conclusion that a hard reset will do nothing for you. phone software (at least winmo) can be flaky and mess up sometimes for no reason. i can't explain why it may help, but it MAY, and thats the point. best of luck!

No worries at all, i'm not under the impression that a hard reset wont ever help, i'm under the impression that if there is a software problem that is occurring on many peoples phones, reinstalling the same software again doesn't fix the bugs within the software, it just hides them temporarily.

-sent from my factory looking htc incredible haha

Upvote 0
No worries at all, i'm not under the impression that a hard reset wont ever help, i'm under the impression that if there is a software problem that is occurring on many peoples phones, reinstalling the same software again doesn't fix the bugs within the software, it just hides them temporarily.

the thing is, youre the first person i've heard of having this issue. its not as widespread as you make it out to be.

Upvote 0

despite the fact it is the same software, sporadic bugs can be fixed by hard resetting...as odd as it may seem.

take a look at any winmo forum on ppcgeeks and read their guides about flashing. 90% of them agree on factory resetting before flashing, and performing a hard reset again after flashing to a new rom. its odd but honestly it has fixed many issues, at least on the tp2.

i have seen other threads previously about this issue. so i know you are not the only one. it just seems to be more isolated. personally i think it is a buggy app, which in turn hard resetting fixes that problem.

well sounds like your back to stock. glad to hear you got it out of the boot cycle, and hope you never have the low memory problem again. i would maybe install certain programs in sets, not all at once. maybe try to narrow it down if it truly is an app.

Upvote 0
I've had the Incredible for about a month and have had this error pop up constantly. After calling Verizon, just as other people found out, the only solution is hard reset. And I agree with the first poster-that isn't a solution. So before I did that, I did some research--googling..and found a ton of people that have this same issue and a couple suggestions that have worked for me so far. I have to keep doing it, but I'll take this quick less than 2 minutes solution rather than a hard reset all the time.

Someone suggested going to your settings/manage applications and clear the cache and data of some things. The major ones for me are:
City ID (even though I don't use it)
Facebook
Gmail (though I don't use this or the storage)
Gmail Storage
Visual Voicemail (that I also don't use)

Also, I had a Facebook widget open and that seemed to cause me and other people issues with that storage message as well so I removed that.
Now I agree that this sucks that we have to deal with any of this..and I'm not a Facebook junkie, but it was kind of nice to have as a widget for when I got bored and wanted to see what friends were up to--since I had it as an app. But to save me the headache, I just removed that.
Those seems to have fixed my problem..so hopefully that fixes anyone else's.
HTC and Verizon should really check into their own issues though..because these are common problems..they should be able to suggest these as better possible solutions. Not leave it up to us to google it-after being given a horrible answer.

-Mandy

Upvote 0
despite the fact it is the same software, sporadic bugs can be fixed by hard resetting...as odd as it may seem.

take a look at any winmo forum on ppcgeeks and read their guides about flashing. 90% of them agree on factory resetting before flashing, and performing a hard reset again after flashing to a new rom. its odd but honestly it has fixed many issues, at least on the tp2.

i have seen other threads previously about this issue. so i know you are not the only one. it just seems to be more isolated. personally i think it is a buggy app, which in turn hard resetting fixes that problem.

well sounds like your back to stock. glad to hear you got it out of the boot cycle, and hope you never have the low memory problem again. i would maybe install certain programs in sets, not all at once. maybe try to narrow it down if it truly is an app.

I guess i am just not familiar enough with bugs. I know on my laptop reinstalling the os always fixes the issue for a while until it slowly comes back. Lets hope thats not the case now.

Thanks guys.

And yeah the vzw guy said hed never heard of the issue and it wasnt in the system, yet if you look online there are plenty of cases and even published articles about it.

Oh well!

Upvote 0
What exactly did you Google to find a ton of people with this issue?

I googled a lot of different phrases. It wasn't just one forum or webpage that I took information from. I googled things like "not enough space error droid incredible", "space error droid incredible"..and other similar variations. Then I'd just check some websites that pop up and see what other people were saying. The first time it happened, I googled it, found an answer relating to facebook. But after it came back and I wasn't using facebook, I went searching again and found out the mailbox storage balloons for no apparent reason.
I found plenty of sites that gave suggestions to try..and in any forum, there were plenty of people complaining of a similar error.
Some sucked it up and did hard resets but were angry when the error message came right back. Others returned phones and would get the same message on the new phone..etc. I didn't want to go those routes unless that was really, truly my only option. I just found that it doesn't seem to be.

Upvote 0
If you guys look it really is on a lot of sites. Anyways it seems to be fixed for now.

At the verizon store i was a bit surprised at a couple of things. One is that the guy wasnt even going to make a note in my file of the issue until i told him to, makes me wonder if they really do anything. Second is that they said froyo is coming out on the x on july 15 then for the rest of us at the end of aug. Its prob not true, but they were very quick to answer and sounded very confident. Interesting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones