• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Incredible Deleting my Email

I'm having the same problem as well on a standard pop3 account. I do not use outlook at all. I just went through and deleted my mail account and set it up again. I don't know if it's pertinent or not, but I noticed the Mail size limit in the settings was set to 5K Headers Only. I changed that to unlimited thinking that possibly HTC mail was assuming it was no longer needed on their end once an email had been downloaded off the server by another mail program. Too early to tell yet if it made any difference.

Upvote 0
Here is my original message to HTC:

Hello. I have an HTC Droid Incredible on Verizon, and received the Froyo / Android 2.2 update on Friday 9/3/2010. Since updating my phone, I am having trouble with HTC Mail automatically deleting email in one account.

I have two work accounts, one is an IMAP and the other a POP3, that I have set up on my phone. The account I am having trouble with is the POP3 account. Mail will appear in the account on my phone, but very quickly - sometimes before the email even has a chance to open when I touch on it to open - it will disappear / delete. For those emails I am able to open and read on the phone, they will be gone within hours...

I did check the following setting in case it changed during the update:

MENU --> MORE --> SETTINGS --> SEND & RECEIVE --> DOWNLOAD OPTIONS.

I have this setting at "ALL" like I did before to keep all mail on my phone until I delete it.

I have outlook set to clean up messages on the server after 1 day, to allow time to make sure my phone to download it in case my computer hits first. This is not IMAP, so cleaning a message off the server will not affect clients (Outlook, phone, etc.).

I am using Outlook 2007, but have not updated it since around August 25. I manually start the update process, and do not have Windows set to automatically install updats. I have Outlook set now to clean up the server after 1 day, so a copy of the message is left on the server for the phone to pull it down for 24 hours, more than enough time for the phone to pull the email down. I occasionally had trouble getting email to my phone when I had Outlook to set to clean up messages immediately. I have my phone set to check the server every 15 minutes for new email.

The phone deletes emails on it by itself whether or not I look at or open the email on Outlook. For instance, last night I was driving back home from being out of town for a few days. I received email during the drive back - maybe 4 or 5 - and by the time I got home after a 2 hour drive, all were gone off the phone.

As far as I can tell, the only thing that has changed between my computer and my phone is the Froyo update. I got the update on Friday last week. Prior to that, this never happened. The weird part is that my other work account, an IMAP one, has not been affected.

Please help me with this as soon as you can. This particular account is very important for work, and not having the ability to read / open email is a severe hindrance.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Upvote 0
HTC's Response:

I understand the issues you are having with your device and I would be more than happy to provide you some information about why this is happening. Here is a basic description about why this is happening with your pop account. 1. When Outlook (or another PC email client) checks a POP3 server for new messages, it will remove the messages from the server and place them onto the PC memory. 2. The phone will always try to reflect what is on the server. 3. When the user's PC checks for mail, the messages are deleted from the server. When the phone checks again at its scheduled time, then it will see that messages have been removed from the server. When the phone sees that, it will remove those same messages from the phone's Inbox as well This is the basic behavior for POP3 mail protocol. This is the intended operation. If you would like to make sure that copies would stay on the phone, then you will have to set your PC email client to leave a copy of the messages on the server. There is nothing wrong with the phone software, this is the way it works for Windows Mobile and Android phones by design. Here are some instructions that you can try to make sure the settings are correct in the outlook account. 1. Start Microsoft Outlook 2. Click Tools > Account Settings 3. Highlight the account and click Change 4. In the Change E-Mail Account window, Click More Settings 5. Click the Advanced tab. 6. In the Deliver section, make sure "Leave a copy of messages on the server" is checked 6. Select the appropriate selection beneath: "Remove from server after 'x' days" or "Remove from server when deleted from 'Deleted Items'" 7. Click Ok 8. Click Next, then Finish.

Upvote 0
My reply:

Thank you for taking the time to reply, but as I noted in my original email to you, I already have Outlook set to leave copies of the messages on the server for 1 day to allow my phone time to download the message before it is cleared. I am well aware of how POP3 works and that is why I wanted to stress that I have already set Outlook to leave a copy of the message on the server.
Several things lead me to believe there is now an issue with the HTC Mail client:
1. My Outlook settings are the same as they were (leave a copy on the server as you suggest) prior to receiving the Froyo update.
2. HTC Mail did not automatically delete email prior to receiving Froyo. In fact, since the Froyo update, I lost almost 100 messages spanning several weeks that were suddenly deleted.
3. In downloaded and installed a mail client from the Android Market called K9. K9 does not exhibit the problem of automatically deleting emails while HTC Mail does.

To further test my theory that there may now be an issue with HTC Mail, I did the following earlier today:

I went into Outlook, and switched the setting in Outlook to remove messages from the server when downloaded to Outlook. I did a send / receive in Outlook, and then refreshed both K9 and HTC Mail. The mail was deleted in the HTC Mail client, but not in K9.

It appears HTC's client is now only showing messages that are left up on the server, and syncing to that. This was previously not the case, and I cannot find a setting in HTC's client to leave messages on the phone even after they are deleted on the server. There is a setting in K9 to give you the option of remote sync to the server, which would delete messages as soon as they are deleted on the server. HTC appears to now default to this method, and does not give you the option to disable this feature.

However, this still does not explain why email was being deleted on my drive home yesterday when my computer was shut off and Outlook was not open and cleaning (older) messages from the server.

To reiterate, Outlook can only download and clean messages off the server when it is open. My problem with HTC Mail deleting messages from my phone occurs whether or not my computer is on and Outlook is open. Further, HTC Mail now appears to be remote syncing as well, only showing messages that are currently on the server. POP3 should not behave this way unless told to. POP3 clients should download the message, and whatever happens later on the server should not affect how the client treats the message. This is how POP3 differs from IMAP. IMAP email uses the server as the central repository for all messages, and any client accessing that email will all be working from the same data and server (like Gmail and my other work account).

I called Verizon today, and the tech rep I spoke to went over all the settings on both my phone and Outlook. No changes needed to be made as they are all set correctly, as they were before I received the Froyo update. The rep also told me that VZW has been receiving similar complaints from other users after receiving the Froyo update, and are in the process of compiling information about the apparent software issue to possibly have a patch developed so a new OTA update can be released to correct the problem.

Upvote 0
HTC says that is the way POP3 works, I have never had a POP3 app do that. I came from Blackberry to the Incredible. Never lost emails there. Under 2.1 POP3 worked great. As soon as I got 2.2 all my old messages on the phone disappeared. I at first thought it was something I did. Then as I kept checking and reading on the Internet, I saw I was not alone. Those that got 2.2 before the Incredible were complaining about the mail problem in 2.2.

I have a support ticket open with HTC but will call Verizon tomorrow so they can add me to the list they are working up for HTC. I am also using K-9 and it is set to keep the mail on the phone regardless what thw server does. I have also changed Outlook to not delete mail for the server after I download, but then I go to the web mail client of my email to delete those items I want to keep on my phone, such a pain to do what was done correctly before. I don't want to overload my quota on the server and get my mail bounced because I am over my storage limit.

Hopefully if enough complain they will change it back to thw way it was.

Upvote 0
I have my email set to save the last 3 days. After downloading the new revision 2.2 it now resets my email every day. Before the download it worked just fine. I tried changing the setting to save the last 80 emails and it still resets every day. Must be a bug with 2.2. Has anyone else noticed this.

Bruce Moore

Upvote 0
I have my email set to save the last 3 days. After downloading the new revision 2.2 it now resets my email every day. Before the download it worked just fine. I tried changing the setting to save the last 80 emails and it still resets every day. Must be a bug with 2.2. Has anyone else noticed this.

Bruce Moore

At this point, I'd say do what some of us are doing and switch to K-9 Mail. Although I like the interface on the HTC Mail app better, K-9 has more features, and the most important one is NOT DELETING my emails when I don't want it to.

Upvote 0
It's Intentional
DO NOT HARD RESET YOUR PHONES!

Many of us don't like cloud computing with our email. We like to view it on our phones, download it to Outlook or another program later to keep our server's from filling up, but still be able to see the ones we didn't delete from our phones until we're done with them - this is not the google model and htc is following their lead.

Changing your settings in Outlook will only change whether or not the emails stay on the server or for how long. Once your server fills up and you pull them off the server, they will disapear from your phone. PERIOD.

If htc had simply included an option to leave messages on the phone even when deleted from the server (exactly like k9mail does) that would still have worked for all of us. I don't believe this is a mistake.

Upvote 0
I don't think it's a mistake either. But, it was a poor decision has to be one of the dumbest ones ever made! I'm a big boy and can decide when to remove mail from my phone. As far as leaving mail on the server; another dumb idea. Exactly what I don't need is a ton of mail wasting valuable disk space on MY server.

atakin77, thank you for taking the time to write to HTC regarding this matter and you've done so in a very professional manner. I would have lost my patience after their first reply to you. Or the original story about it being caused by an update to Outlook.

Incidentally, what are the contact addresses for HTC and Verzion so that I can send them emails as well regarding this matter.

Thanks to whichever Mod merged the two threads.

Upvote 0
I don't think it's a mistake either. But, it was a poor decision has to be one of the dumbest ones ever made! I'm a big boy and can decide when to remove mail from my phone. As far as leaving mail on the server; another dumb idea. Exactly what I don't need is a ton of mail wasting valuable disk space on MY server.

atakin77, thank you for taking the time to write to HTC regarding this matter and you've done so in a very professional manner. I would have lost my patience after their first reply to you. Or the original story about it being caused by an update to Outlook.

Incidentally, what are the contact addresses for HTC and Verzion so that I can send them emails as well regarding this matter.

Thanks to whichever Mod merged the two threads.

You can open a ticket with HTC here:

HTC Mobile Phones - Customer Service - E-mail Support

I called Verizon at *611, then had them call me back on a landline.

Upvote 0
A second reply from HTC:

I can certainly understand how frustrating this may be for you. POP supports simple download-and-delete requirements for access to remote mailboxes. Although most POP clients have an option to leave mail on server after download, e-mail clients using POP generally connect, retrieve all messages, store them on the user's PC as new messages, delete them from the server, and then disconnect. While you can select setting to keep this from happen it does not guarantee that the mail will stay. What I am assuming is happening is that once you open the mail and the account goes to refresh it is seeing that the E-mail has been read and deletes it off the server. So if you will on your phone go into the mail account and tap Menu>More>Settings>General Settings & uncheck Refresh on open. This should keep you from losing the E-mail as soon as you open the message. Your phone will still connect to the server to download messages based on a send/receive schedule but it will not refresh when you launch the application. Also you may want to set Outlook to leave on the server for 2 days.

Upvote 0
My reply:

Thank you for getting back, but I am confused. Once my HTC Mail client downloads a message, why does it care what happens to the original copy on the server after the fact? Basically, you are saying that HTC's mail client now acts like IMAP for POP accounts. When a message is deleted off the server, it gets deleted off the client. I will parrot something I read on a forum:

The way HTC now describes how POP functions is unlike any other client - both computer or handheld - has worked before.

Why is there the sudden change? Why do I have to change Outlook settings (which worked perfectly fine with HTC Mail under Android 2.1) when this mail client is now automatically deleting messages when Outlook is NOT open or running in the background? I find it interesting that first I am told to set it to leave messages for a day, which I already did. Then I am told to let it go two days. This should and will most likely make no difference whatsoever.

I will try what you suggest, but first I will see if I have mail in the morning. Every morning when I wake up, I have no mail on the phone. Every night my computer is powered down and Outlook is thus not able to pull any email or process any commands to clean messages off the server, yet my phone has no mail. I will let you know how the day tomorrow goes, but I bet you a dollar I will lose mail and it will be deleted without my command to do so.

Again, I will reiterate, last week, prior to receiving the Froyo update, I did not have this problem. I have read about this in numerous forums, and many others are experiencing this problem. According to them, and from my own experience, this did not occur with HTC Mail in Android 2.1. It started for everyone right after they received the Froyo update.

Also, refresh on open merely pings the server to check for new messages. Under POP, check for mail should not delete a message on the client. I use refresh on open on K9 and it works fine.

Finally, K9, which is available in the Market, is not exhibiting these problems. Your client is, and only after the Froyo update. No software update is perfect, and that is fine. Please just recognize that the problem is not Outlook or settings or something else, it is a bug in the code. Please just fix it and release a new OTA.

Upvote 0
atakin77, thanks for the link and for keeping us up to date with your correspondence.

edarchitect, the email client is actually from HTC. So, we'll have to convince HTC that what they have done has been a mistake. I agree with you the leaving mail on the server is a huge no-no. Leaving mail on a server might be fine for huge companies that have server farms. But for the typical small to medium business operation there is no way that this can be done.

Upvote 0
After some back and forth, I believe HTC is now accepting responsibility that the problem with HTC Mail deleting email lies within their programming:

Thank you for your reply. I understand how you would be very frustrated since the changes in the programming of the mail client on your phone. After reviewing the previous conversation you have had, I have confirmed that the device is working as intended. The HTC Mail client had an error in its programming that was not meeting our requirements. Post Office Protocol (POP) email works much like a real post office. When the office (server) delivers the mail to its destination (mail client), I would not be able to go to the office and obtain the mail there. Many mail clients have the option of leaving a copy of it on the server; however, the HTC Mail client does not have this option. Your concerns have been thoroughly documented and I will see to it that it is forwarded to the proper departments such as our software engineers so that this additional feature might be included in a later build of the software. At this time, if you would like to continue to have mail through your POP3 account, you would need to ensure the mail is on the POP3 server or use a third party mail client. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

Upvote 0
I've noticed my email disappearing and I am only using the gmail app. No Outlook, IMAP, or POP. Go figure. I tried menu-more-settings-labels and change number of days to sync to 999. I am not sure if that will help. So far none of my deleted emails have shown up but maybe it will keep current ones from being deleted. It seems so random though - I have one email that has been in my account for over a year and it still shows up while newer ones have disappeared. I can't figure it out.

Upvote 0
I had a trouble ticked with HTC. After going back about 4 times they were sending it up for higher level support. Yesterday I received a call from HTC and she said that is the way POP3 works. She said, yes the 2.1 did not work that way and saw I had downloaded K-9 Mail which has a option to not delete when it is deleted from the server (Sync remote deletions - Remove messages when deleted on server) which I have unchecked so the K-9 Mail has kept messages as they are deleted from the server.

She said they had many calls about that and was sending it on for them to look into changing the program to add that option that K-9 Mail has. If enough people who are having this problem call HTC maybe they will update the HTC Mail with that setting option.

Upvote 0
I wonder if there is a way to get the OLD .apk from a non updated phone, this may or may not work, but it is something that might fix the problem, I know someone out there can probably do it, but it's beyond my technical level, anybody not updated or anyone rooted that can pull the old .apk off the 2.1 version?

I think someone would have to be rooted to download the 2.1 HTC Mail program as I believe that is in a system folder that you can not copy from. I also would assume you would need root to replace the new one with the older version. May be the reason to root 2.2.

Upvote 0
I was thinking the same thing about getting a hold of a copy of the old Mail application. I have no idea if it will work with 2.2 or even if it will be able to be installed over the current version without uninstalling the "2.2" version first.

I wrote to HTC on Saturday night;

Greetings HTC Support,

Since September 3rd when I received the 2.2 Android update, the HTC Mail application has been deleting mail that I have downloaded to my inbox on my phone after I have downloaded the same mail to my computer. The mail from two separate POP3 accounts is being affected. I have my phone set to leave mail on the server and my PC is set to delete mail from the server. So, while I am on the road during the day I receive my mail on my phone and later it is downloaded from the server to my computer as well. This is when the same mail disappears from my phone. This makes no sense since POP3 mail that is downloaded should be saved until manually deleted from any device. It is imperative that I have this mail on my phone as well as I use it for business. I have tested another email client, K9, and this application does not exhibit this issue. I hope that HTC can resolve this error as I prefer the HTC Mail application over any other email applications that are currently available.

Kind regards,

UHF3
and received this reply Sunday morning.

I understand how important it is for the device to be getting your email. Unfortunately after the update the phone now understands what the servers are telling it over all. We have started seeing a common concern where emails are deleting from the phone when the account is refreshed when the server is forwarded to Outlook after the update. Unfortunately this is not an issue with the phone as the phone is simply now able to read the server properly. However if it is outlook you are using we found a work around on Microsoft

Upvote 0
Well, the reply from HTC's rep is below. It doesn't give me any hope at all that HTC plans on addressing this issue either. Which is rather disheartening considering the fact that this affects other HTC devices, namely the EVO 4G, as well.

Dear UHF3,

I am glad to know that we could be of assistance to you even if it was simply a work around for your setup. If you have any additional concerns or questions feel free to contact us again. We apologies for any inconvenience you may be experiencing. We will document your concern for review in development of our upcoming devices and future software updates. Unfortunately at this we have no further information to provide on your concern.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number.

Sincerely,
Amber
HTC

Upvote 0
Here is my response from HTC regarding this issue:

Dear Skorpios1027,
I understand how frustrating it can be for your device to delete messages based on what is available on the POP3 Server. The operation of Post Office Protocol in its most basic form is supposed to reflect what is on the server. When the information is available, it is delivered to the destination. If the mail is not available, there is nothing to be delivered, thus it is removed from the device. We are looking into ways in which we can update the phone and add the functionality to make the POP3 account act more like an IMAP account; however, it may take some time for any update to be complete. In the meantime, you may use an alternate mail client available on the Android market such as K-9 mail. I do apologize for any incovnenience that you may have experienced.
To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number 10USCW38ENA001430.
Sincerely,
Jeffery
HTC

WTF, they are looking into ways to make the POP3 account act more like an IMAP:thinking:. That's exactly what it is doing now:mad:

Upvote 0
I see it's been about a month since the last post. And reading through ALL of the posts in this thread is confusing to say the least because not everyone is talking about the same problem...that of the original poster.

Since the Froyo update, with the HTC Mail Client
1. As soon as I delete the message it deletes it from my server, regardless that I have HTC Mail set NOT to do that.
2. Therefore, once it is read on my phone and deleted, it is no longer on my server and no longer accessable in Outlook or any other mail client.

Obviously, the problem is NOT with the server, Outlook or anything else but with HTC Mail itself...it no longer behaves correctly with the settings on the phone and simply deletes it from the server, regardless of settings.

ANYONE REALLY FIGURED THIS OUT YET?

Upvote 0
I see it's been about a month since the last post. And reading through ALL of the posts in this thread is confusing to say the least because not everyone is talking about the same problem...that of the original poster.

DroidRocker, I gave up on the HTC app. I've been using K9 Mail now for the past month because it doesn't have this problem. Some things in K9 aren't quite as nice as the HTC Mail app, but the fact that it lets me keep my email makes it a better app. In Account Settings, there are two settings. One is "When I delete a message", which lets you decide whether K9 should delete the email from the server. The other is "Sync remote deletions", which controls whether K9 should remove an email because it's no longer on the server.

By setting both of these, I get back the behavior I had in the old HTC Mail app.

Until HTC acknowledges this as a bug and fixes it, I don't think there's anything you can do other than use a different app.

Reactions: DroidRocker
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones