• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incredible grounding flaw?

I have noticed this if I leave my phone sitting next to me on the couch and try to unlock it without picking it up. Just tried it on my bed, too - which is foam incidentally - and it doesn't respond at all.

Not sure this is enough to make me care since it's so easy to fix. If all i have to do is pick it up to fix it I think I'll be fine.

Upvote 0
non issue for me, however, despite the fact this is a high end device, all products launches have some duds, whether 1st gen or not. No manufacturing system is 100% for quality control.
I remember similar discussions with my I910, xv6900, xv6800 and xv6700
if my phone had all these problems that appear in the various threads, i would be upset, but before i complained on the boards, i would be exchanging it.
that being said, my phone has been... pretty incredible so far

Upvote 0
This happened to me today for the first time! On a wood desk/table (no phone case here) or my kitchen counter it's fine, but today I set it on one of those big folding plastic tables with metal legs while I had a guitar in my other hand and it would not work at all...pick it up in my hand it's fine again. Weird stuff

Upvote 0
Just wondering if this should be something to worry about. Should I return it?

Its not a big deal to me but Im wondering if it would have an effect on other components.

Heres how to replicate it:

Put your phone to sleep

place the phone on a soft surface such as a pillow, couch, bed top

Turn on the phone so that it goes to the "slide to unlock" screen

Wait about a second

Without holding the phone at all (just use your one finger tip) try to swipe the screen to unlock it.

It should be unresponsive.

Place a finger on each side of the phone (ie:hold it) and now swipe and it will work as normal

Upvote 0
If this is actually true it must be in a limited numbers (limited enough I'd call shenanigans that it happened on 3 straight). I've tested mine sans back cover on: a bunched up towel, carpet, and a sofa. Lightly using 1 finger I was able to navigate the home panels and type without any problems or lag.

Upvote 0
Just wondering if this should be something to worry about. Should I return it?

Its not a big deal to me but Im wondering if it would have an effect on other components.

Heres how to replicate it:

Put your phone to sleep

place the phone on a soft surface such as a pillow, couch, bed top

Turn on the phone so that it goes to the "slide to unlock" screen

Wait about a second

Without holding the phone at all (just use your one finger tip) try to swipe the screen to unlock it.

It should be unresponsive.

Place a finger on each side of the phone (ie:hold it) and now swipe and it will work as normal

Sorry, nope. Tried this on my bunched up towel and for testing sake found the softest pillow I had to try it on. Without the back cover, bring the phone out of sleep to the lock screen I counted to 10, and was able to unlock it just fine on both surfaces.

Upvote 0
Normal use holding it=fine

wood table=fine

metal table=fine

sitting it on couch without me touching it 'cept for the swipeing finger=nothing

Sitting it on couch and touching the side frame of the phone with my left hand finger and useing my right hand to swipe=fine

car dock=nothing

car dock and touching the side frame of the phone with my left hand finger and right hand finger swipe=fine

Car dock with car charger=fine

conclusion?
I must be making this up, looking for attention or it's got some bad mojo

Upvote 0
Glad to hear that yours works correctly.

Im guessing I should return mine.

BTW, does anyone know what happens to apps youve purchased if you get a replacement phone?

You have to redownload them, but you don't have to rebuy them. The info is stored through your google account.
Must be a bad run of samsung screens.

Edit:
Or could something be something screwing with the electrical field in the capacitive screen?

Upvote 0
Sorry, nope. Tried this on my bunched up towel and for testing sake found the softest pillow I had to try it on. Without the back cover, bring the phone out of sleep to the lock screen I counted to 10, and was able to unlock it just fine on both surfaces.
Try going into a drawing app and draw straight lines. If there is a problem, there will be gaps in the lines you draw.

I have the problem but I can unlock and swipe across the home screens just fine.

Upvote 0
Works fine for me. I tried it on my desk, on top of a drinking glass, on my mattress, on a stack of papers, on a pile of clothes sitting in a dresser drawer, couple of pillows... no problem.

I do have a Body Glove case on it with a belt attachment... not sure if that changes anything. I also noticed no problem in my car vent dock that I have.

Upvote 0
for me, since it only affects me when it's in my car dock without being plugged in, I will deal with it. I will always have it plugged in in the car anyway. I am lucky that I have none of the other problems like poor call quality, my battery life is decent, etc etc. I don't want to take a chance and get a replacement for this and end up with a raft of other problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones