• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incredible grounding flaw?

My thoughts exactly. These are the people who are mad that it doesn't work underwater, that it can't be thrown against a wall by a MLB pitcher and stay in one piece, and that it doesn't make nachos for you at the end of a long hard day. Personally, it has always worked despite a few quirky bugs which I imagine will be fixed in an update. Finally, a touch screen keyboard that rivals the iPhone in responsiveness. I had to upgrade my texting plan because I found I was texting more when I got this phone.

It doesn't???? Damn! :(

Upvote 0
My thoughts exactly. These are the people who are mad that it doesn't work underwater, that it can't be thrown against a wall by a MLB pitcher and stay in one piece, and that it doesn't make nachos for you at the end of a long hard day. Personally, it has always worked despite a few quirky bugs which I imagine will be fixed in an update. Finally, a touch screen keyboard that rivals the iPhone in responsiveness. I had to upgrade my texting plan because I found I was texting more when I got this phone.

What about the unresponsive while in a car dock??? The styrofoam is just used as an example, I thought that was pretty obvious.

Upvote 0
GREAT JOB BUDDY! I see you have some serious reading comprehension skills.

Its not just styrofoam that it doesnt work on, its other very common everyday objects that people are having trouble with.

Upvote 0
so, i think we've established that some incredibles have grounding issues, and some don't (mine does)

and i've heard people proclaim that since it's not such a big issue, they won't worry. (i won't be taking mine back, this is such a miniscule problem that i only discovered it once in the last 3 weeks of ownership)

but i haven't actually heard anyone talk of a solution to the problem. what is the difference between a functioning moto droid, and a functioning incredible that suffers from grounding issues? is it the back plate? is it something untouchable in the circuitry? what makes a cellphone "grounded"?

Upvote 0
GREAT JOB BUDDY! I see you have some serious reading comprehension skills.

Its not just styrofoam that it doesnt work on, its other very common everyday objects that people are having trouble with.

Perhaps.

But really, MOST of the time the phone is held when being used. Yes, it might have flaws when it's sitting on something soft ( if you set it on a desk it works just fine ) but is that really a deal breaker?

Note: If you answered "yes" to the above question, then I suggest that the DI is not for you. Maybe get an iPhone because, lord knows, it's a MUCH better piece of equipment and HEY ... you can use it on styrofoam! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Perhaps.

But really, MOST of the time the phone is held when being used. Yes, it might have flaws when it's sitting on something soft ( if you set it on a desk it works just fine ) but is that really a deal breaker?

Note: If you answered "yes" to the above question, then I suggest that the DI is not for you. Maybe get an iPhone because, lord knows, it's a MUCH better piece of equipment and HEY ... you can use it on styrofoam! :rolleyes:

C'mon.. Are you just intentionally attempting to miss the point and rile things up or are you really that dense? Belittling people over mentioning that they too have encountered this issue is just plain stupid on your part.

Obviously this is a real issue to some people. Styrofoam is just one example of a surface where the phone did not work for some -- it was done as a part of an actual experiment to understand the problem, not because the person actually thought that they would be using the phone on a styrofoam surface. If you put the phone in a car cradle and it doesn't respond to touch, something is wrong. Clearly this does not affect everyone. If the phone is laying next to you on certain surfaces (upholstery, bed, whatever) and it doesn't work unless it is picked up, that is a problem for some people. This was not originally an "OMG my incredible has a fatal flaw" thread, it was pointing out an unusual issue that indicated that some phones apparently have.

To me this is akin to someone finding a specific app they really wanted to use does not work right. After that, it is individual choice about whether there is a suitable work-around or whether it means you need a different phone.

Upvote 0
I personally have not experienced this on 2 different Incredibles. That said, it sounds like it can and does present problems for people, especially if it becomes unresponsive in a car dock.

Just because someone is not experiencing it does not diminish its effect on others and does not make it any less of an issue! It also does not mean that someone experiencing a problem is "trashing the phone".

Please people if you are enjoying your phone and it is perfect to you, please don't belittle issues others are having simply because you are not.

Besides, people have memories and one of the people here with the issue may have an answer you are looking for down the road and your treatment of them here may make them not help you someday!

Just a thought!

Upvote 0
I noticed this when in a car dock as well. I thought the foam/rubber inside the holster was touching the screen and causing it to not respond when I touch the screen. A few days ago I realized the phone would not respond when just sitting on a table. A little annoying and nothing I can't live with until the Droid X is released!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I've had this phone since the official launch day and after seeing videos and reading so much about this I decided to try it myself. Just bought a new a/c so plenty of styrofoam on hand. The phone worked perfectly not one glitch. So, I'm chalking this up to as being some do and some don't. But, it certainly doesn't affect all DIncs.

Upvote 0
I've had this phone since the official launch day and after seeing videos and reading so much about this I decided to try it myself. Just bought a new a/c so plenty of styrofoam on hand. The phone worked perfectly not one glitch. So, I'm chalking this up to as being some do and some don't. But, it certainly doesn't affect all DIncs.

Certain cases and aftermarket batteries solve these problems.
The point is.... This is a real problem and if it wasn't HTC would not be addressing it. It is funny how some DINC owners deride on ANYone who mentions a problem but when HTC comes out an announces a fix, everyone pretty much shuts up.

The problem is real and re produceable.

Upvote 0
I've noticed then when the phone is lying next to me on the floor, not plugged in to anything. It's sporadic, almost always working fine, but sometimes when trying to unlock the phone it stops tracking my finger drawing the unlock pattern, or Swype will think I've finished tracing a word. All I have to do is touch it with another finger or my other hand and it works fine. And like I said, it only happens occasionally, not anywhere near enough to cause a problem, and I might not have ever even thought it was anything special if I hadn't seen these threads.

Upvote 0
I don't see why you've singled out my post to quote.

Certain cases and aftermarket batteries solve these problems.
The point is.... This is a real problem and if it wasn't HTC would not be addressing it. It is funny how some DINC owners deride on ANYone who mentions a problem but when HTC comes out an announces a fix, everyone pretty much shuts up.

The problem is real and re produceable.

Upvote 0
I'm sitting on my bed, reading this thread because I've had an unresponsive screen on my DINC but it was while plugged into a combination wall/car charger. The only was to get the screen to respond was to unplug the phone. Not a big deal, all my other chargers work fine.
Oddly enough, while scrolling through the thread with the phone on my memory foam mattress and only using 1 finger to touch the phone (just to see what would happen), occasionally it would act like I tried to pinch zoom out.
Whatever the real issue is, whenever I am holding the phone, everything works just fine with the exception of the one charger. Since I am always holding the phone while using it, this is a non_issue for me. I agree that it is a problem for some, an inconvenience for others, and can't be duplicated for others, but I just thought I'd share my experience.

Upvote 0
I didn't read this whole thread for lack of time but it is true that when not grounded the touchscreen has slightly more trouble reading than when grounded. It's not that big of a deal honestly. I hardly ever use my phone when at least one hand isn't touching it. That being said there are times when I'm on my computer and have my phone on my desk and I'll come a across a cool thread on this site or an app on appbrain and decide to search the market without it being grounded. It is only slightly less responsive.

If you want proof download the Multitouch App from the market and try it while holding the phone in your hand and when it is sitting on stationary object. (ie. desk, bed, whatever...) Multitouch Visible Test - Android app on AppBrain

But even with the test you only can tell when your two fingers cross each others axis. (non-grounded causes read issues....but when grounded is very smooth)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones