• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Incredible Kernel's: The What, Where, and Why. Updated 08/11/10 New Froyo. 32 Kernels!

Hmm, just had the same no-wifi thing happen to me today with the hydra kernel on an otherwise stock phone. I downloaded the latest undervolt kernel. Looks like I'll be going back to the stock kernel for now, I was really looking forward to some better battery life. Oh well :(

Are u running 2.1 or 2.2?
if ur on 2.2 leak five the King Kernel. #1 a try ...heard great things from all my friends on that one.

Upvote 0
Eh, I'm gonna hold off for now and do a bit more reading and learning before jumping in to it. I'm happy with the phone the way it is now. Hell, the only reason I rooted was because I was bored, and for the wifi tethering and LED flash light. I'm gonna read up a bit more on Froyo and see if it has anything I'd be interested enough to go through the trouble of the conversion.

Upvote 0
i tried installing the undervolt kernel and i just get a boot-loop :(
current setup:
stock 2.1, unrevoked 3.0, unrevoked forevor, custom boot animation.
any ideas why its not working for me?
i did a nandroid backup so im restoring it now...

i really just want to improve battery life and maybe get some other benifits i dont currently see. (wireless N ???)

Upvote 0
Eh, I'm gonna hold off for now and do a bit more reading and learning before jumping in to it. I'm happy with the phone the way it is now. Hell, the only reason I rooted was because I was bored, and for the wifi tethering and LED flash light. I'm gonna read up a bit more on Froyo and see if it has anything I'd be interested enough to go through the trouble of the conversion.

Well when you get bored again, its not much trouble, and its great!

Upvote 0
I used to have the older 2.1 kernels...I will see.if I can find.one and mirror it.

EDIT:
I do have Hydra Undervolted V.7 Wireless N for 2.1 mirror....u can hit me up via PM and I can link u....wont post in thread because that would be wrong.

thanks! although now that the OTA update is happening for the incredible i guess i will just wait until i have 2.2 and then do a kernel update.

Upvote 0
so i just installed the #1 hydra overclock kernel.
i believe i read somewhere that it will give me Wireless N. is that correct?
any other benifits i should be able to see?
(obviously smoother OS, and hopefully better battery life)
im down to 66% battery life and its 1pm. unplugged since 8:00AM.

will this kernel change the battery charge rate. i noticed after the froyo update that my phone no longer charges at full speed and so i slowly lose battery life while using navigation and charging in the car. (i slowly gained it on 2.1)

Upvote 0
ima noob and i hava question, ok so i rooted my phone, and i have LithiumNG as my ROM, but the question is what is the best kernel to have? what are the differences between different makers of kernels and what is the best one for battery/performance life to have like an equality between the two. last time i tried putting a kernel onto my Incredible, it bootlooped, or got stuck on a black screen with white sides frozen. ive been going to countless searches on google to find what im looking for but i havnt really touched on what ive been looking for, can somebody help me? idk if im in the right forum for this, but at this point im helpless. is there a website that explains everything, and i mean everything about kernels, roms, specifics on the HTC Incredible system and clockwork mod and all of that? im sorry but google hasnt been a real friend when it comes to what ive been looking for. thank yall for the support of this website and all the others, without this, i would just be a lame-o with a regular stock-everything on my HTC Incredible. please help. PLEASE :) i will give thanks to your username or whatever, i just need HELP. thank you again.

Upvote 0
ima noob and i hava question, ok so i rooted my phone, and i have LithiumNG as my ROM, but the question is what is the best kernel to have? what are the differences between different makers of kernels and what is the best one for battery/performance life to have like an equality between the two. last time i tried putting a kernel onto my Incredible, it bootlooped, or got stuck on a black screen with white sides frozen. ive been going to countless searches on google to find what im looking for but i havnt really touched on what ive been looking for, can somebody help me? idk if im in the right forum for this, but at this point im helpless. is there a website that explains everything, and i mean everything about kernels, roms, specifics on the HTC Incredible system and clockwork mod and all of that? im sorry but google hasnt been a real friend when it comes to what ive been looking for. thank yall for the support of this website and all the others, without this, i would just be a lame-o with a regular stock-everything on my HTC Incredible. please help. PLEASE :) i will give thanks to your username or whatever, i just need HELP. thank you again.

Its been a while since ive changed kernals or roms because i have a good working setup right now, but with hydra kernals there is a list of 4 of them (may have changed) and your supposed to start with the 1st one and keep moving down the list untill you dont have boot loop or freezing priblems.

Upvote 0
thank you very much for the clarification, but do you mind if you send me some links to kernels that you feel are best for my type of droid. whatever they are. i just want a kernel that is good mainly for battery and somewhat better for performance. i get confused when i see this on the P3Droid website for kernels -
1200 = 250/500/600/900/1000/1100/1200.
or this from hydra
#1 Overclocked Undervolted 1.15ghz v1.0
#2 Overclocked Undervolted 1.15ghz 25mv Overvolt v1.0
can you explain what all of those things mean?
what maker and what voltage/ghz and all of that is best for my type of phone and what im looking for to make my phone more conservant/faster. btw. im running LithiumMod because i liked the black/red theme, but are there any others out there that have that type of form of colors n stuff?
i kind of understand this stuff because in the beginning i used to jailbreak my ipod touch and change things around, but these codings and all of that seem a little more complex than what im used to. thank you very much again.​

Upvote 0
thank you very much for the clarification, but do you mind if you send me some links to kernels that you feel are best for my type of droid. whatever they are. i just want a kernel that is good mainly for battery and somewhat better for performance. i get confused when i see this on the P3Droid website for kernels -
1200 = 250/500/600/900/1000/1100/1200.
or this from hydra
#1 Overclocked Undervolted 1.15ghz v1.0
#2 Overclocked Undervolted 1.15ghz 25mv Overvolt v1.0
can you explain what all of those things mean?
what maker and what voltage/ghz and all of that is best for my type of phone and what im looking for to make my phone more conservant/faster. btw. im running LithiumMod because i liked the black/red theme, but are there any others out there that have that type of form of colors n stuff?
i kind of understand this stuff because in the beginning i used to jailbreak my ipod touch and change things around, but these codings and all of that seem a little more complex than what im used to. thank you very much again.​

Sounds like you have an SLCD Incredible (check hardware version, if it's 3, that's what you've got), so some flashing is different than with Amoled Incredibles.

Also, the match between ROM's and kernels is strictly phone-by-phone specific. Some Incredibles work well with one combo, others, not so much, so you have to go slow, backup every time, and be prepared to back out when you hit problems.

Personally, I think the overall issues by too much kernel switching aren't worth the heartache. I don't overclock, though, I underclock (to extend battery life), and I am relatively conservative using Virtuous 3.2 with its own custom #3 kernel. Have thought about King's or Chad's, but I adhere to the philosophy "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Upvote 0
ok so then let me ask this last question, for me to have the LithiumMod ROM, what are the best kernels for battery performance with somewhat better performance? can somebody give me a link?

Here's the link to the official LithiumMod forum over on xda-developers:

[ROM][AOSP] Lithium NG (next generation) v0.0.5 *Official Thread* - xda-developers

I haven't navigated that forum (because I don't run that ROM), but you ought to find your question answered over there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones