• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root INCREDIBLE Laundry List of Root Questions from a Beginner

GoinOnTilt

May 10, 2010
Ohio
So I took the plunge and rooted my Incredible a few weeks ago, right as Verizon was beginning the OTA push. I chose to root (Virtuous 2.4) because a) I had no clue when I'd get the OTA push, b) I wanted some of the bloatware off the phone. So...

...now what?

Do I have to keep updating my ROM?

Is there a consensus best ROM that I should switch to? I see there are so many options for roms out there. Battery life? Which ROM boasts the best battery life?

How do you over/under clock your cpu?

I'm rooted, but I have no idea how to remove programs that I can't remove normally. How do you do that?

I'm sure I've got more questions, but I can't think of them right now. I am sure most of these are addressed somewhere in the forums already, but there is so much information on here that it gets a bit overwhelming, especially when I don't exactly know what I'm looking for.

Would you recommend just going back to the stock 2.2 and root?

I really feel like I stepped waaay outside my comfort zone and should have just waited...but then again, I know just enough to get myself in trouble.

Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks in advance for the help!

Do I have to keep updating my ROM?

Not really. You can stay right where you're at for as long as you want. It's just about trying new things if they interest you and if you're ready.

Is there a consensus best ROM that I should switch to? I see there are so many options for roms out there. Battery life? Which ROM boasts the best battery life?

No consensus is the consensus. :D

How do you over/under clock your cpu?

SetCPU is what most everyone uses. Paid app from the market.

I'm rooted, but I have no idea how to remove programs that I can't remove normally. How do you do that?

Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, ADB. Some prefer to remove, others create a special folder to move them into for safe keeping while disabling them at the same time.

I'm sure I've got more questions, but I can't think of them right now. I am sure most of these are addressed somewhere in the forums already, but there is so much information on here that it gets a bit overwhelming, especially when I don't exactly know what I'm looking for.

http://androidforums.com/incredible...-guide-updated-1-03pm-est-sept-20-2010-a.html

^^^Check this out. Much more detailed information about the answers I just laid out + a LOT more.

Hope this helps get you started.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones