• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Incredible running hot?

Anyone else notice the Incredible running incredibly hot? I can actually feel the heat on my leg when in my pocket. I was at the Verizon store when I first noticed it. The rep even said, "Yeah, that's pretty warm. Keep an eye on it and come back if it gets worse." He said to make sure there weren't too many apps running, but the phone is designed to run multiple apps w/o having to kill any. Besides that....the phone is freakin sweat. :D

I think I have a lemon. I compared it to my friend's INC and his was no where near as warm as mine. Also, on a full charge, I got a jaw dropping 4 hours of standby. During this period, I did not place one phone call during this period and had maybe 4 apps running. I just picked up my phone and checked the charge every 30 minutes or so. His battery life was significantly better than mine, so I'm taking it back to swap it out for another one.
Other than that, I love it.

Upvote 0
Actually, YES mine was running very hot. I had it plugged into the computer to sync for about 15 minutes, it was not warm - it was hot to the touch.

Also after talking on it for about 2 hours the back got uncomfortably warm to hold, and used speaker for a while. Just bought a case today to alleviate the warmth, and of course protect :)

If your Inc is running warm then a case is just gonna trap the heat in there. Most phones can't handle internal temps above 60C for a long time.

Upvote 0
No it does not run hot. The temp are perfectly normal.

You have to understand that most people do not know what hot or warm or even cold is. They feel a sensation from the phone and label it as a word. The problem is you can not label temperature as a WORD. It is measured by numbers and the temperature of the incredible is WELL within spec temperature.

This false sense of issue stems from people having a radically different perception of temperature from what the temperature really is in reality and what it means.

This is very common when any new smart phone comes out to see these type of threads. Basically they stem from first time smartphone users who just dont know. In the end everyone moves on and you stop seeing temperature threads because, well, there is nothing wrong with the temperature. Again, this happens every time a new phone comes out...

Upvote 0
No it does not run hot. The temp are perfectly normal.

You have to understand that most people do not know what hot or warm or even cold is. They feel a sensation from the phone and label it as a word. The problem is you can not label temperature as a WORD. It is measured by numbers and the temperature of the incredible is WELL within spec temperature.

This false sense of issue stems from people having a radically different perception of temperature from what the temperature really is in reality and what it means.

This is very common when any new smart phone comes out to see these type of threads. Basically they stem from first time smartphone users who just dont know. In the end everyone moves on and you stop seeing temperature threads because, well, there is nothing wrong with the temperature. Again, this happens every time a new phone comes out...

Compared to my Droid and Eris, this thing is hot. Compared to my friend's INC, it's significantly warmer. I scanned the surface temp and it's reading 101.8'F.

Upvote 0
For those of you with heat issues - I thought I'd share my experience. My phone was definitely hotter than normal (I'm coming from a Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2 that I used wifi tether with, so I know HOT). I did a hard reset recently (my home button wasn't working properly) and since then the phone is running MUCH cooler.

Also, look in this forum for the thread regarding power and short battery life. Seems some phones aren't "sleeping" - the uptime and the active time are close to the same. Although I can't verify that this is related (because my phone now has no heat issues) - I'm guessing that those with hot phones might also see that their phone isn't sleeping because of a rogue application (exchange calendar and others have been reported to be culprits).

I should also mention that I haven't added my exchange account back to the phone since my reboot. Instead I forwarded my emails to my Gmail.

Reactions: rsjet
Upvote 0
I had the same issue with it getting uncomfortably hot this morning. I had a full charge last night. This morning it was at just over half. Then in a meeting i noticed it getting warm in my pocket. (This had never happened before, i've had it since launch day and always carry it in my pocket). Took it out and the battery was in the red. I wasn't even using it so it has to be something in the background. I used TaskKiller to kill all tasks and it has since cooled off. Only thing i have done differently is i did configure my hotmail email account last night, and i had the ebay app open. May be one of those.

Upvote 0
I haven't had this happen again for a few days.
I also not charged it in my vehicle.
and I have since removed a POP3 account that was trying to pull email every 20 mins.
I have also downloaded Advanced Task Killer app.
Also, something else I have done is to let the battery run all the way down to %5-%8 or so and recharged fully.

will try to charge in my truck again this week.

on a side note...I am getting alot better battery usage. it is lasting all day now, with some to spare....:)

jon

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones