• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incredible Shortage due to AMOLED Scarity, Go EVO!

No gloating, I'm just glad that the people behind the EVO made a good decision. A unique product like AMOLED is going to have an achilles tendon of something like this. I think the people behind EVO saw a good product fit with it (People were initially hoping for AMOLED on Evo) but may have understood something like this or other problems (Can't use outside) would happen sooner or later.

Upvote 0
No gloating. Just pointing out that this problem will be around for a while. Meant to also say that it's one of the reasons I think HTC ended up with 65k TFT. I'm sure they tried to get AMOLED but just couldn't see supply holding up through too many high demand phone intros by a major competitor (HTC) trying to get parts from Samsung.

I bet the shortage will not be as prominent with Samsung Galaxy S and other Samsung phones.

I don't empathize with VZW customers anymore than they do with me still on ATT but ready to jump to Sprint. We each make our own choices and live with the pros and cons.

Upvote 0
If AMOLED is more expensive than LCD (idk much about AMOLED costs), then I would only imagine the EVO is just too expensive to manufacture compared to other smartphones. 2 cameras, 720p capability, 4.3 inch screen, 4G hardware, and a kickstand are things that the average smartphones do not have. Can't imagine how much it would cost if AMOLED was thrown on top of that.

Upvote 0
Apple probably bought up 95% of the supply for the new iPhone.

Right, apple has more leverage than htc, apple probably trying to lock out its competitors this way :D but whats the rumor, is apple actually going to use amoled in the next gen iphone?? lets not forget Samsung makes headsets as well, why would they let the shortage affect their own mobile devices rather than their competitors (HTC)

A manufacturer never, ever wants to produce too many of something, no matter what, because then the price drops right thru the floor. In every case, they're aiming to make just barely enough, or to fall a little short.

But do you really know why? Galaxy S

Reactions: wase4711
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones