1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Incredible still worth buying?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by diehard760, Jun 11, 2011.

1. diehard760

diehard760 Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    I am new here and looking to join the android world soon. I currently have a BB Storm 9530 and cannot stand it. I have had it for almost 3 years. I have no plan on leaving Verizon and the Android phone I have been impressed with, stats wise, is the Galaxy S2.

I would love to know when it is being released on Verizon.

In the interim I am thinking of picking up an Incredible, w/o contract extension, this way I can keep my discount for when the S2 comes out.

Is this a move worth making? Is the Incredible a phone worth buying at this point, since there are no more OS updates? I would definitely flash a new rom on it.

I have seen them on ebay for around $200 which is a pretty penny for a phone no longer supported by verizon.

Just looking for some opinions from actual users of the phone.

Thank you all for your input.

Advertisement

2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    I still think the incredible is the best phone currently available on the Verizon.

And there is still plenty of rom activity.

3. WBMc36

WBMc36 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    Full time student
    Pittsburgh/Erie
    While the incredible is still a great phone, and it is still very relevant to the development community, if you plan on buying the galaxy s2 i would just wait it out. Unless the 200$ isn't a huge deal to you, then go for it. It is still a fast snappy device, with a beautiful screen if you get the AMOLED. Plenty of roms, battery life is no longer a problem but i would still recommend buying a bigger battery from the evo if you do get it. But once you root and rom it is easy to get a day and more out of the battery. I recently upgraded, but the incredible runs gingerbread flawlessly and can be overclocked/underclocked easily in Cyanogenmod.
    So far I have made this post very contradictory. It is still a great phone, and i although i have just upgraded, i have kept my inc on wifi and have still been using it as an alarm and to keep around the house in case someone needs to google or quick lookup something. Simply put the incredible has been the most versatile phone i have ever had. It has done everything i have wanted and more.

4. olbriar

olbriar  

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    I'm still impressed with my Dinc. First phone I've kept for over a year. Your plan seems sound to me. You won't be disappointed in a Dinc or android.

5. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    If my Dinc were to break, I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

6. ericDylan

ericDylan Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 14, 2009
    Full-time Student
    Atlanta, GA
    No matter how much time goes by, the Droid Incredible will always be a great phone and a great buy!

But, there are newer phones out there that have more/better features. If i were to buy a phone right this second, I would buy an Incredible 2; in a few months, a Galaxy S II.

That said, if you found an Incredible in good condition with a good price, you should jump on it. You may end up enjoying the incredible enough for it to tide you over until the next round of phones at the end of the year with ICS. Because you are not on contract, you can always buy a new phone that tickles your pickle in a few months if you so choose.

7. diehard760

diehard760 Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    I really want to wait out the S2, but I feel like I have been waiting out phones forever. I originally was waiting for the Bionic, but then the GSII came around and seems like the one to beat.

If i could find a nice Inc for $100 I would def jump on it, but all the phones in mint condition I see with AMOLED are $200 so it's a tough call.

And to be really honest, I am not a fan of 4" phones at all. I love the size of the Inc, it is the sweet spot for me.

I appreciate the comments and keep them coming. I also figure if I do end up getting the S2, the Inc could be a great backup phone to have around.

I do have one question, for those with asurion ins. Are they still sending out Inc's as replacements if they break?

Thank you all and keep the opinions coming!

8. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    Asurion is sending incredibles *when* they have them in stock. Otherwise people are getting inc2 or droid x.

9. offanairplane

offanairplane Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 17, 2010
    TX
    I would buy one with an SLCD if I were you. It would be cheaper, and it's a great screen. It may not be as vibrant as the AMOLED, but it is still a very nice screen.

You should be able to find a Dinc in great condition with an SLCD for $150 or so.

There is no other used phone in that price range (or really in any price range) that is even in the same ballpark as the Incredible.

It will be a joy to use, and you won't mind waiting on the S2. In fact, when you are ready to buy the S2, you might even take a closer look as some of HTC's offerings after using the Inc for a while. Absolute great phone.

Even running the stock Rom I was very happy with my Inc. Now that I am running GB, I am extremely happy with it. By far, the best phone I've ever had.

10. diehard760

diehard760 Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    That is exactly what I just did. I am in the process of purchasing an SLCD in like new condition for under $200. I look forward to toying with this phone for a while. I think it will keep me busy until the S2 comes out or maybe even something better.

Thank you all for your advice!

11. Darebrokenheart

Darebrokenheart Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Forklift Operator
    South Jersey
    Know that you're not making a mistake getting the Incredible. It's a wonderful phone. It's one of verizon's top selling phones. I've looked the new phones that are out and none of them really interest me. The incredible can still run with them. It maybe a little slower (1ghz processor is not slow at all) than the new ones but it still kicks ass.:D Also it handle the lastest android updates and ui's. I've used two versions of gingerbread already; one with vanilla and the other with sense 3.0 and it has no problem running either ui's. I'm not looking for another phone until my Incredible dies on me.:eek:

12. offanairplane

offanairplane Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 17, 2010
    TX
    Cool!

You won't be disappointed.

13. sweeds

sweeds Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Yup Yup, I just replaced my broken Incredible with a brand new Incredible for $215 (no contract, AMOLED, +accessories).

Love this phone <3

14. ArmchairBear

ArmchairBear Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    I like everything about this phone except the battery life.

The form factor is very good. Fits in the hand very well.

The screen is very nice.

It's fast enough for everything.

Custom ROM support is amazing.

15. kenn

kenn Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    This, in my opinion, is still the best phone on the Verizon network. Period. (As long as it is an S-LCD :) )

It is very fast and the mod community is freaking stellar. So many ROMs. So little time.

I've jumped ship to Sprint only because my bill for my whole family is outrageous. With Friends and Family, my bill is going to drop by $60/month. I got 125/per line to transfer... That plus selling my phones got me close to break even after paying Verizon's CRAZY early term fees.

If I could have brought my Incredible to Sprint, I would have done it in a second...

I put $50 down on an Evo 3D today. HTC FTMFW!

16. ACD168

ACD168 Android Expert
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    3.7' was my sweet spot but then I got the inc2, 4 is perfect. anything over is too big

17. T-Keith

T-Keith Android Enthusiast
    None

May 1, 2010
    Just made a similar move from my droid eris. To me most new phones are too big and don't offer much over the incredible. I'm hoping verizon has something great coming out this fall, and with the incredible, the wait will be easy.

18. Darebrokenheart

None

Jun 9, 2010
    Forklift Operator
    South Jersey
    I agree with you. Though I have to wait til next year the wait is easy since I have the incredible. With android and sense with their updates and developers coming out with roms for those updates makes my wait like a breeze. Quite honestly the incredible, being the flagship, was the start of better phones to come because if you look at the latest ones they mimic the incredible with minor additions.

19. viperman2008

viperman2008 Well-Known Member
    None

Coming from a Storm to an Incredible would be a good move. I still love mine that I preordered all the way back. ROMs make it stay interesting to me and relevant with newer features and tweaks.

It won't be top of the line for phones now, but most are not too much better. I mean that phones now are more like a maturer, faster sibling to the incredible but not a generation better. To me the next generation will be dual core LTE.

20. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me!
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Female
    Masquerading as a responsible adult
    Jersey - born & bred
    I still love my Incredible after a year too. I got a little tingle when the Thunderbolt was announced but not enough of one to warrant a switch. This phone may be the first one to ever make my full 18 months on the plan without a problem. I converted my brother, his wife, and 4 of my friends to this phone in the last year too!

21. ACD168

ACD168 Android Expert
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    I personally had an upgrade I was able to use early on my family plan, my contract is eligible for a new phone april 2012, so april 28th, I got the inc2, I still use my inc1 because inc2 isn't rooted yet. I could have gotten the thunderbolt, but it's just too big, I really hate that they are making all phones 4.3.. 4' is serisouly the sweet spot, w/ and without a case. 3.7 is perfect as well, but once you see how great the screen looks on 4' it's worth it and to go from 3.7 to 4.3 is just crazy I dont think ill ever adapt to that, so I pray for a 3.7-4' 4G phone by april lol. the inc1 is a GREAT phone, root/themeing is sooo addicting. and the inc is the easiest phone to fll root it's awesome. great phone, highly suggest it!

22. Darebrokenheart

None

Jun 9, 2010
    Forklift Operator
    South Jersey
    Anyone who purchased the Inc were very well satisfied....well most of them. For me the only difference between the Inc and these new phones that are out is the screen size and the processor. Other than that the Inc is.....incredible:D

23. ACD168

ACD168 Android Expert
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    my only beef with the inc1 is the plastic build. the inc2 has a great aluminum shell. but the inc1 actually feels better without a case than inc2, maybe im just nervous about messing up the new device lol.

24. notaguru

notaguru Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    S Cal
    The Dinc1 rooted with a good ROM (I use Skyraider, which is superflexible yet solid), is as fast and useful as anything newer. Later phones provide more screen, but a bigger phone (to me) is a disadvantage.

Until the industry introduces ThinkDial, I'll stick with the Incredible.

25. mauiblue

mauiblue Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 31, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I definitely would consider an Incredible as the new phones on Verizon's website isn't that appealing to me. Check out Craigslist or the buy/sell forums for some deals on used HTC Incredible phones.