• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incredible vs Droid 2

So today I went to my local Verizon store and picked up a Droid 2 to try alongside my Incredible for awhile. Here are a few of my impressions so far:

-The Droid 2 feels a lot sturdier than the Incredible. Suffice it to say, I'm not nearly as scared of what would happen if I were to drop the Droid 2. However, the Droid 2 does feel bulkier/heavier.

-Even though the Droid 2 is running Froyo, my stock Incredible blows it away in terms of smoothness and responsiveness. Replacing Blur (which would constantly hitch when I was switching home screens) with Launcher Pro on the Droid 2 did a great deal to improve it, but the speed and overall feel of the UI still didn't quite match what I am used to on the Incredible. I don't feel as if this is a Launcher Pro vs. Sense issue (as I have also used Launcher Pro on my Incredible before) but more of a D2 vs. Dinc issue.

-The physical keyboard is definitely a big improvement over the original Droid's and is awesome to have for games/emulators, but I'm not seeing any benefit in typing speed or accuracy versus the Incredible's multi-touch keyboard. Whether this will change as I spend more time with the Droid 2 remains to be seen, and this could definitely vary from person to person.

-The Incredible's screen (for me) is far and away better than the Droid 2's. Blacks are very deep and colors are vibrant on the Incredible's AMOLED display, and everything on the Droid 2's LCD display looks somewhat "washed out" in comparison.

-Camera Quality: I like that the Droid 2 has a dedicated camera button, but I find the quality of the Incredible's pictures to be better. Here are a couple comparison pictures for you to judge (I understand these probably aren't the greatest shots-just took them quickly to get a feel for each camera):

INCREDIBLE (daytime):

Dinc1.jpg

DROID 2 (daytime):

D21.jpg

INCREDIBLE (low light):

Dinc4.jpg

DROID 2 (Low Light):

d24.jpg

Overall, I still feel that the Droid 2 is a great choice if you're in the market for a smartphone with a physical keyboard. After my first day of use, however, I'm leaning towards returning it and sticking with my Incredible. I haven't really had a chance to get a sense of the D2's call quality/battery life versus the Incredible yet, and I plan on keeping the D2 around for another week or two to get a better feel for it. If anyone has any questions about it, feel free to ask.
random12345678

Upvote 0
Thanks for the post, I dont know how your original photo looks like on the DInc or computer but the picture of the cat looks horrible, the DInc takes way better photos than that. :eek:

Yeah, I would have to agree with you there. Other pictures I have taken before have turned out much better than the ones I posted. As I said, I pretty much just pointed and shot to get a quick comparison.

Upvote 0
I tested the D2 out today. You all are my homies, but the D2's keyboard is the real deal and a treasured item for old school gamers. The keyboard is Touch Pro 2 level good for feedback and ease for typing. Blows my N900 away as well.

Also, the two key things that make this smack the X on the side of the head is the display quality is better in regards to color and sharpness (not just due to size issue). Also looks better than the Droid 1, which looked washed out, next to the Inc. The D2 display is better than the Droid and X's- IMO.

I already posted a mini review on the D2 forum. In spite of this, I do not see the point in changing now, since the dual cores will be released later this year and VZW is expected to have other options by then for keyboard devices.

Still, if I were buying a device today, I would probably get the D2- due to the sweet keyboard :) If not a gamer, I would get the Inc again.

Upvote 0
1. I have an Ngage. First device I got with Tmo.
2. Inc is the standard bearer for great devices, so of course it will be compared ;)
3. I would prefer an Inc with keyboard over the D2.

VZW reps at store told me 2.2 was coming Aug 19 and then a rep corrected them to Aug 29. I politely laughed, since they let me loiter and test the D2 :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones