• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incredible vs Droid 2

I have been playing around with my boss' D2 in the absence of my Incredible (getting repaired).

I do not really like it. It is INSANELY heavy. If you got the DINC then you didn't care about a keyboard, so why change to a phone that is so much heavier (its an additional 30 grams which may not seem like much until you compare them side by side).

I am a bigger fan of HTCs build quality vs Motorola but I'll admit the D2 is a more "solid" phone, partly because of the weight.

You bought an Incredible, usually the reason you buy a device like that is to avoid the devices like the D2. I feel like they are the two ends of the spectrum.

Upvote 0
I have been playing around with my boss' D2 in the absence of my Incredible (getting repaired).

I do not really like it. It is INSANELY heavy. If you got the DINC then you didn't care about a keyboard, so why change to a phone that is so much heavier (its an additional 30 grams which may not seem like much until you compare them side by side).

I am a bigger fan of HTCs build quality vs Motorola but I'll admit the D2 is a more "solid" phone, partly because of the weight.

You bought an Incredible, usually the reason you buy a device like that is to avoid the devices like the D2. I feel like they are the two ends of the spectrum.
HTC's build quality? I agree that HTC makes the best phones. They are the best in terms of both hardware and aesthetics. However, I do have to mention that they could have done better with the outer material. When i first took the battery cover off I thought it was paper. The thing feels like crap. Great phone, terrible plastic.

Upvote 0
HTC's build quality? I agree that HTC makes the best phones. They are the best in terms of both hardware and aesthetics. However, I do have to mention that they could have done better with the outer material. When i first took the battery cover off I thought it was paper. The thing feels like crap. Great phone, terrible plastic.

did it break or something? or does it just feel like crap:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I am going to get a new phone next week. I am trying to decide between the D2 and the Inc. I would prefer to not have a slider keyboard. But, I am a farmer in a rural area and am concerned about call quality as well as reception. With previous HTC phones I have always had to do speaker hacks. I am also concerned about build quality - drop my phone occacionally. I hear the D2 is built better with clearer sound quality.

Which phone will I be able to hear and have people hear me best?

Which phone will handle a little rough treatment better than the other? Does the D2 have real glass for a screen?

Upvote 0
I am going to get a new phone next week. I am trying to decide between the D2 and the Inc. I would prefer to not have a slider keyboard. But, I am a farmer in a rural area and am concerned about call quality as well as reception. With previous HTC phones I have always had to do speaker hacks. I am also concerned about build quality - drop my phone occacionally. I hear the D2 is built better with clearer sound quality.

Which phone will I be able to hear and have people hear me best?

Which phone will handle a little rough treatment better than the other? Does the D2 have real glass for a screen?

Inc is as loud as the D2. You may want to get both devices and keep which that has a better signal where you live. Also invest in a silicon case and screen protector, but that is obvious :)

If the Inc is not already on 2.2, update it (new radio has a little better signal). Heck, make VZW do it for you while there, just in case of issues. Make em' earn that money :)

Reactions: Kamp
Upvote 0
This thread will give you no help in your decision. You started out by calling the phone we all think is great "poor build quality" as if that were an obvious assumption, and considering I've had zero issues with mine I would surely beg to differ.

If this post isn't meant to troll, then I'm sorry that you even think posting here would be beneficial. It's a personal decision between the two phones, you would have to consider yourself.

Upvote 0
I think the first two questions in deciding between the two (ignoring your experience with build quality) should be do you want/need the physical keyboard or the world capability. If either is yes, then the quality of the HTC build dosent matter...

I have an Incredible, my wife has a Fascinate, and I have a coworker with the Droid 2. All seem to have similar build quality, and from my experience, the difference is in features. My wife went with the facinate because she did not want the physical keyboard, and she did want a larger screen. [She originally wanted the Verizon iPhone, but she finally got tired of waiting. Another Android convert! ;)]

Upvote 0
This thread will give you no help in your decision. You started out by calling the phone we all think is great "poor build quality" as if that were an obvious assumption, and considering I've had zero issues with mine I would surely beg to differ.

If this post isn't meant to troll, then I'm sorry that you even think posting here would be beneficial. It's a personal decision between the two phones, you would have to consider yourself.

Not meant to troll. I did a "bye bye droid incredible" thread and got a few hostile posts in there. It was in no way hostile or trolling. So I knew starting this may also ruffle a few feathers. BUT I was curious to what everyone thought about the Droid global features. Theres nothing wrong with admitting there are flaws with the phone you have and that there might be a better one out there.

I WAS considering the droid 2 global. I went and checked one out. Very sturdy little phone. Unfortunately I am stuck with the incredible and its "echo" call quality.(though amazonwireless is sending me another hopefully number two is better)

Again I like the incredible and have to keep it. But I was curious about the Global. It looks like a nice phone and motorola (despite some of the shortcomings of their phones) has superior build quality to HTC from what I can tell from holding them and testing them out in the store.

There have been other VS threads here. If the thread upsets too many though the mods are free to lock it. This was meant as a fun thread only. I am keepeing the incredible.

Upvote 0
To answer your question directly:

-In terms of build quality, it's a push. The Incredible is insanely solid for a plastic phone. Despite having an aluminum casing, the Droid 2 World also has a slide out keyboard, something that's notorious for being the week link regardless of the build quality.

-When comparing the screens, you'll get dissenting opinion. I prefer the true 24-bit color and the color accuracy of the Droid 2, but others prefer the more vibrant AMOLED or SLCD (which are 16 and 18-bit respectively). This is a personal choice for you. Screen sizes are both listed at 3.7", but due to slightly different aspect ratio and resolution, the Droid 2 ends up better pixel density, while the Incredible actually has more surface area (so, technically a slightly larger screen).

-In terms of interface, you have Motoblur, which seems to be a semi-stock UI, versus Sense, which is nicer looking and offers better response. Your call on which UI you prefer.

-Keyboard vs. no keyboard (and the associated bulk that comes with it). Again, personal preference.

-In terms of hardware, you've got to hand it to the Droid 2 Global. Faster CPU on a smaller process means better battery life and performance. Significantly better GPU performance which means less visual lag in games like Pocket Legends Sims 3, and actually having a playable version of games based on Unreal Engine, like Dungeon Defenders.

-5MP vs. 8MP camera, though the quality seems to be similar, and 720P video capture on the Droid 2 seems to be a little better in terms of framerate consistency.

So the Droid 2 wins the technical aspects, but when it comes to personal preference I still slightly prefer the Incredible. You need to look at those things (screen, keyboard, UI) and make your own decision. On just hardware, I'd take the Droid 2, unless you don't play mobile games, as the faster CPU does not make up for the better UI performance of the Incredible.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the honest and detailed response Medion.

You mentioned the slide out keyboard. It was one of the reasons I chose the Incredible. I didnt want the slider of a physical keyboard coming loose after a few months. BUT I will tell you when I checked the Moto Global (sorry I used world in my thread title) out I wiggled the keyboard pretty vigorously. Its one of the tightest keyboard sliders I have ever seen.

Upvote 0
I dont' have any problem with my build quality on any of my Incredibles no speaker blow outs, no cracked screens after many drops . My only complaint is the camera sticks out which I haven't had any problems with but seems like a vulnerable spot of the phone.

I do however think the original Droid (i have no expierence with the D2 or D2 Global so I won't comment on them) was built like a tank but really it's not that good build quality as there are problems ith the keyboard slider and also lots of problems with the headphone jacks becoming bad.

Upvote 0
I keep blowing speakers on my incredible. No clue why its doing it either but its getting old fast. I don't listen to music and don't have any deafening ring tones so I'm at a loss. Imo the external speaker is the weakest part of my phone.

That is really weird, I listen to music on my speaker morning as I have it set to my alarm and then I just keep it on for about an hour. And I have the EQ turned up via DSP Manager and I use the Loud Phone Speaker setting on PowerAMP . It is extrmely loud and I havent had any issues

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones