1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Independent Google calendar

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by 4michaelmay, Nov 11, 2014.

1. 4michaelmay

4michaelmay Newbie
    None

Nov 11, 2014
    I have a Google work calendar that I want to access from my phone *but* I don't wish to merge it with my personal calendar.

Is there a way of setting up an independently operating calendar?

The closest option I've found so far is to have a separate on screen widget app that I can configure to display just the work calendar but when I tap, it enters the built in calendar app which shows everything merged as one.

Anyone have some different app or setup suggestions?

Thanks all!

Advertisement

2. jae_63

jae_63 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 16, 2010
    There are lots of other calendar apps, and you can just use a different one for your work calendar than for your main calendar.

I use Gemini Calendar. The paid version makes it easy to move appointments between different calendars (a feature which was missing in most other calendars until recently). There are tons of other calendar apps; many people like Jorte and Business Calendar.

Android Agenda Widget isn't a calendar, but it's a very nice scrolling widget. Pure Calendar widget is similar, but paid.

3. 4michaelmay

4michaelmay Newbie
    None

Nov 11, 2014
    Thanks for the reply

4. jae_63

None

Mar 16, 2010
    I thought you were mistaken, but now I see that if I edit the calendar preferences in Jorte or Gemini Calendar, it affects the other. Hmm ...

But I tested that you can have independent Android Agenda widget instances. In the Data Sources preference, select the Independent Calendars option.

There is probably a calendar app out there which only displays a subset of your currently synced calendars, but I don't know which one. I have a Business Calendar license, and will play with that when I have time.

5. 4michaelmay

4michaelmay Newbie
    None

Nov 11, 2014
    Ok,..... I'm not going crazy then! Thanks for taking a second look.

I guess all these apps draw upon the underlying Android calendar code.

As per my original post, I did get as far as configuring an Agenda widget that only displayed what I wanted, but when drilling down it all gets mixed up.

Unless someone out there has written an app that doesn't use the pre written Android code (and why wouldn't they?) I may be out of luck.

6. jae_63

None

Mar 16, 2010
    Business Calendar Pro seems to be what you need. It knows about the list of calendars which are being synced, but then it let's you configure an 'eye' for calendars which are actually displayed. You may have to go back and forth once more since the Business Calendar configuration confused my Gemini Calendar configuration, but after I restored the latter, the Business Calendar display was still the correct subset of calendars. I don't know if you need the "Pro' version or not.

Calengoo is another very powerful calendar, which I guess can also do this, in case you need to display two independent subsets of your calendar (one in Business Calendar, the other in Calengoo)

7. 4michaelmay

4michaelmay Newbie
    None

Nov 11, 2014
    Unfortunately, no go.

Every time I go into BC, it resets the visible calendars globally based on the "eyes"

This also occurs with shared calendars under my main account, so the issue appears more fundamental. Is actually nothing to do with it being a separate Google account.

The only thing I can get to remain presented as I wish is an agenda widget, but as I stated before, the underlying data changes in a way I do not want.

I think I'm going to have to log in through the browser :-(

8. jae_63

None

Mar 16, 2010
    Hmm ... I am able to keep a stable BC Pro running only a few calendars (with lots more appearing in Gemini Calendar) on my Android 4.3 (CyanogenMod 10.2 on a Motorola Photon ). Maybe you should write to the BC author, since clearly he/she had this problem in mind when they wrote their app.

Good luck in any case ...

9. 4michaelmay

4michaelmay Newbie
    None

Nov 11, 2014
    FYI, I wrote to the developer.

The reply:

Please remember that you activate the calendars in the Android OS, therefore you cannot configure different calendar apps to display different calendars.