1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Indie Game College Research Help??

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by TOgbourne, Mar 17, 2016.

1. TOgbourne

TOgbourne Lurker
    None

Mar 17, 2016
    Male
    Hi there,

I'm studying ComputerScience at A level in the UK and could really do with your help with a coursework project. I need to do some research and my googling brought me here. I was wondering if someone from your team could help me b answering the questions below:

1. What makes a good IndieGame?
    2. How complex should I go when developing an IndieGame?
    3. Would the general gaming community be interested in a shooter/avoid objects style IndieGame?
    4. Should the game be over the top or should it be more 'realistic' to real life?
    5. What sort of balance of challenge and frustration should I incorporate?
    6. Do you feel that targeting a specific gender would make a game more sucessful? If so would males or females in your opinion be a more sucessful audience?
    7. (This one might seem a bit silly)...
    What makes a 'Fun' indie game?

If you could answer these questions and comment here that would be awesome. I'm sorry in advance if this is in the wrong place.

Many thanks,

Thomas Ogbourne

Advertisement

2. DB_Carwell

DB_Carwell Guest
    None
    I'm not a gamer but I am a code and story board writer for Simcode software development. Yes gender do play a large factor in the overall deployment of any software product and it depends on the time,location scenario on which it was developed. Now Indie games I'm totally clueless about because I'm not a gamer. SorryI wish I could help more with your endeavor.

3. BR Top

BR Top Lurker
    None

Mar 27, 2016
    Male
    Game Developer
    Brasil
    Regardless if it is a IndieGame or not, a good game should keep the player playing your game. A good game will depend on the type of game you are creating (Shooter, Puzzle and so on). As more complex your game is, more interesting it should be, otherwise gamers will give upon it. About the balance, a game never should be too easy, other way gamers will loose interest on it. I'm not sure about it, but most gamers are male, so you will have more chances of success if you target them. Hope it helps.

4. Eageron

Eageron Member
    None

Feb 22, 2016
    Male
    Game Developer
    Munich
    I agree with you on a lot of points. I disagree on the type of game. There are a lot of successful games that have a different type (Shooter, Puzzle etc.). And more complexity doesn't mean a higher chance of success. Because if you create a lame UI a complex game can be laid off very quick. Candy Crush for example is being played by more women than men. And I mean this game generated on its peak 1,5 Million a day! :)