Ok so I rooted yesterday but my question is I didn't check to see if my contacts are gone so I don't know if they were there yesterday... anyway is there anyway to get it them back or are they gone forever??
If you did a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM before you rooted, you have a copy sitting right there in your Nandroid backup. If that is the case, they what you would do is:
- Step 0: Charge your phone well (say, > 80%) and then boot to Amon_RA
- Step 1: Make a Nandroid backup of your current ROM configuration
- Step 2: Restore the original ROM via Nandroid restore
- Step 3: Boot
- Step 4: Dump your existing contacts out of the old ROM with whatever method you choose (either a market app, or HTC Sync, etc). Be aware that whatever method you use, your rooted ROM needs to support it; it seems like a 3rd-party contact backup/restore app would be the best bet.
- Step 5: Shut the phone down and reboot into Amon_RA recovery
- Step 6: Restore the new (rooted) ROM via Nandroid restore
- Step 7: boot
- Step 8: Restore your contacts from your "dump"/sync/whatever.
As others have mentioned, this should only be needed if you designated some contacts as "Phone" rather than "Gmail" contacts. And of course, it won't work if you didn't make the initial backup before flashing your new root ROM.
( See why backups are a great