• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Ok so I rooted yesterday but my question is I didn't check to see if my contacts are gone so I don't know if thet were there yesteray... anyway is there anyway to get it them back or are they gone forever??

If you had your contacts synced with your gmail address then they are there; just go into your gmail account on your computer and click the "contacts" link and you'll see the list unless you did not sync them to begin with.

If not, you'll have to rebuild the list; be sure to designate each contact as "google" as you set them up.

Upvote 0
Ok so I rooted yesterday but my question is I didn't check to see if my contacts are gone so I don't know if they were there yesterday... anyway is there anyway to get it them back or are they gone forever??

If you did a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM before you rooted, you have a copy sitting right there in your Nandroid backup. If that is the case, they what you would do is:

- Step 0: Charge your phone well (say, > 80%) and then boot to Amon_RA
- Step 1: Make a Nandroid backup of your current ROM configuration
- Step 2: Restore the original ROM via Nandroid restore
- Step 3: Boot
- Step 4: Dump your existing contacts out of the old ROM with whatever method you choose (either a market app, or HTC Sync, etc). Be aware that whatever method you use, your rooted ROM needs to support it; it seems like a 3rd-party contact backup/restore app would be the best bet.
- Step 5: Shut the phone down and reboot into Amon_RA recovery
- Step 6: Restore the new (rooted) ROM via Nandroid restore
- Step 7: boot
- Step 8: Restore your contacts from your "dump"/sync/whatever.

As others have mentioned, this should only be needed if you designated some contacts as "Phone" rather than "Gmail" contacts. And of course, it won't work if you didn't make the initial backup before flashing your new root ROM.

( See why backups are a great idea? )

eu1

Upvote 0
I can't believe that people are surprised that they lost all their info after a FACTORY RESET... This is why everyone considering root needs to do their research and properly prepare. Backup, backup, backup. Cannot stress that enough.

Before I rooted I probably went a little overboard, but I backed up my sd card to my pc, made sure all my contacts and calander entries were in Google, backed up my apps with appbrain, did backups in apps that have the option (like astrid), and finally did the nandroid of course. It's comforting to know I have multiple options if something does go wrong.

Upvote 0
Yeah I did. One of the things to do before/during rooting was make a back up so it's in there. Sweet. Thank you guys. -- note I never designated anything to gmail before or after the root but I will as soon as I get my contacts back.

It's been a while since I used a stock Sense ROM, but your comment makes me wonder if you are just having a sync problem, rather than a loss of contacts problem. There is an easy way to find out - log in to Gmail from a computer and look to see if the missing contacts are there.

If they are still there, you have a contacts sync problem. If not, you must have designated them as phone-only contacts, and you should do the recovery trick above

eu1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones