• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Info on newly updated root guide: (the one that is pinned)

Xruptor

Android Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2011
Hey folks, just wanted to let you know that I took the liberty of collecting dozens of links over the past several months and putting them together to update the root guide.

I'm sure I missed something but I did my best to collect as many links as possible. A few new sections were added including Tips and Scripts section.

PLEASE remember to redirect folks to the guide if the information they are looking for is in there :p

Oh and don't forget to contact one of the Guide moderators if you need something added!

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-pre...l-things-root-guide-updated-04-14-2012-a.html

I was thinking about doing that, but more to remove some of the older stuff that either doesn't work anymore or is superseded by new stuff. For example, we could do away with the one-click roots, shabbymod :( , and the couple of roms by that one guy that have virus warnings.

Also, i'm not sure what CM7 uses but does it need external AppstoSd programs, or is it included somewhere?

It just seems to me that if a new person came here they could easily get lost in all the different posts in the guide, most of which are just old.

Upvote 0
I was thinking about doing that, but more to remove some of the older stuff that either doesn't work anymore or is superseded by new stuff. For example, we could do away with the one-click roots, shabbymod :( , and the couple of roms by that one guy that have virus warnings.

Also, i'm not sure what CM7 uses but does it need external AppstoSd programs, or is it included somewhere?

It just seems to me that if a new person came here they could easily get lost in all the different posts in the guide, most of which are just old.

I merely had the new stuff added but didn't prune any of the old stuff.

With that in mind though you can still learn a thing or two from the old stuff. Maybe adding a section like Obsolete?

Upvote 0

CM7 has DATA2EXT already built in ;)

Upvote 0
I merely had the new stuff added but didn't prune any of the old stuff.

With that in mind though you can still learn a thing or two from the old stuff. Maybe adding a section like Obsolete?

That would be a really good idea, at least try to push the older stuff to the bottom.

Since i am an idiot, albeit a relatively well-spoken and careful idiot, I try to look out for the other less educated newbies that make it here. Heck I've been trolling around here since the prevail was released, and I still don't know a fraction of what the devs know.

Right now, there's like 17 different entries under "roms", and another twenty under themes. Anyone that came here with no knowledge of whats going on would not know where to start.

Upvote 0
That would be a really good idea, at least try to push the older stuff to the bottom.

Since i am an idiot, albeit a relatively well-spoken and careful idiot, I try to look out for the other less educated newbies that make it here. Heck I've been trolling around here since the prevail was released, and I still don't know a fraction of what the devs know.

Right now, there's like 17 different entries under "roms", and another twenty under themes. Anyone that came here with no knowledge of whats going on would not know where to start.

Ya that's a fact. It can definitely be everwhelming for noobs. Most people would probably benefit from step by step. I'd like to contribute for sure

Upvote 0
indeed, its prolly best to remove all of my stuff

Doesn't bother me any, I've sampled a little of everything and as such, have a nice archive of it on my computer. Shabby, none of this would have been possible without you and interdpth. Just because you said that, I think I'm going to flash back to stock froyo and put on shabbymod for old times sake, not for a long time but to play around with it again :D

Upvote 0
lmao, thanks for teh vote of confidence. but its all old stuff, you guys have ctmod and cm which are worlds better than anything i could have made for you guys, while myself and interdpth may have started the kindling, it was hroark kouma and bloodawn that got the fire going and helped spread it to what it is today :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones