• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Infuse 4G GPS Problem?

UUMickey

Lurker
Jul 25, 2011
Hi folks. New Android convert here. I just switched from an iPhone 3GS to an Infuse. I've had it about 2 weeks and I love it so far except... I seem to be having a problem with the GPS and wanted to get some advice.

I've read through the forums and if I understand it correctly, early runs of the Infuse had a problem with something called Skyhook. Not sure what it is, but it looked to me like later runs did not have this issue. Hopefully I had a later run.

The GPS on my phone will do one of the following:

- Refuse to lock up at all even though it can see 10-12 satellites
- Lock up and be completely wrong about where it is or where I am going

I've done tests just standing outside in the street so I have a nice clear view of the sky. I also installed GPS Status, which I read good things about to help me test. It too displays the above behavior. For example, today, on the way home from the office, with the top down, a 20 minute drive, the GPS did not lock up once. It had no idea where I was.

Obviously, any GPS powered app won't be of use. Google Maps, Navigation, Endomondo, Yelp, none of them know where I am.

If I reboot the phone, the GPS will sometimes lock on within 60 seconds, but then subsequent attempts will go back to being lost. If it does lock on, the resolution bubble is pretty large and it doesn't feel accurate.

I am already getting a replacement unit sent out to me from Amazon, but I was wondering if anyone had advice? Things I can try to rule out software and be sure the phone is the culprit?

I've read the threads and I see a decent split, some folks say they have GPS issues, others say it works like a champ, other say they swapped it and now it's all fine.

Happy to be in the Android family and thanks in advance.

Mick

i used gps status from the market...it seems to help.

open it...hit menu.tools.manage a-gps state and clear.

then menu.tools.manage.download

THEN

download faster fix and select your region.

download gps test for testing.

hope this helps. there are some other fixes on xda.com but the fix above is simple...but may require being redone

Upvote 0
I just discovered this old thread. By now, I suspect the OP has either resolved the issue or thrown his phone out the window. But for the benefit of anyone else reading this, here is how I was able to greatly improve lock tiome and accuracy.

Follow the instructions (in order) from the two websites below.
How To Improve GPS On Samsung Infuse 4G [Guide]
samsung infuse 4g - Can't lock onto GPS. Flash/Root possibly related - Android - Stack Exchange

The only modification I suggest to the advice offered is to use Operation Mode = standalone (not MS Based). Reason? MS mode depends upon having a data connection. If you have one, all well and good. In fact, MS Based with a data connection will actually improve initial lock. However, it seems to me that you most need GPS assistance when you are in the boonies, which is exactly when MS will fail you. Following the instructions outlined above I went from stock 1+ minute lockup with 34 meter accuracy to < 30 second lockup with 5 meter accuaracy and no wander. HTH!

Upvote 0
Hi folks. New Android convert here. I just switched from an iPhone 3GS to an Infuse. I've had it about 2 weeks and I love it so far except... I seem to be having a problem with the GPS and wanted to get some advice.

I've read through the forums and if I understand it correctly, early runs of the Infuse had a problem with something called Skyhook. Not sure what it is, but it looked to me like later runs did not have this issue. Hopefully I had a later run.

The GPS on my phone will do one of the following:

- Refuse to lock up at all even though it can see 10-12 satellites
- Lock up and be completely wrong about where it is or where I am going

I've done tests just standing outside in the street so I have a nice clear view of the sky. I also installed GPS Status, which I read good things about to help me test. It too displays the above behavior. For example, today, on the way home from the office, with the top down, a 20 minute drive, the GPS did not lock up once. It had no idea where I was.

Obviously, any GPS powered app won't be of use. Google Maps, Navigation, Endomondo, Yelp, none of them know where I am.

If I reboot the phone, the GPS will sometimes lock on within 60 seconds, but then subsequent attempts will go back to being lost. If it does lock on, the resolution bubble is pretty large and it doesn't feel accurate.

I am already getting a replacement unit sent out to me from Amazon, but I was wondering if anyone had advice? Things I can try to rule out software and be sure the phone is the culprit?

I've read the threads and I see a decent split, some folks say they have GPS issues, others say it works like a champ, other say they swapped it and now it's all fine.

Happy to be in the Android family and thanks in advance.

Mick

type this in your phone call *#*#3214789650#*#* its called and Angry GPS Lock...once it opens clear your GPS lock and test it out....its should fix your problem its did on mine....theres also another way but you have to get in the hardware and replace a file but this seems to be the easiest and less frustrating lol...

Upvote 0
I noticed my phone did not have the Data Enabled check box checked. ??? I get email, download apps, etc with no problems.
Are you sure you're talking about the same thing? Without "Data network mode" enabled, you won't get anything other than voice calls (unless you're on wifi). FYI, Data network mode is accessed by long-pressing the power button if on Froyo, or pulling down the notification bar if on Gingerbread.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones