1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Ingress Beginner Guide?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by ryegauvin, Jan 11, 2013.

1. ryegauvin

ryegauvin Newbie
    None

Nov 29, 2012
    Male
    Scottsdale, AZ
    First off, I apologize if you clicked on this hoping to have me already have one typed up. But I'm the one asking for a guide, because I don't get it!! How do I do it? The tutorial explains the interface and how it all works, but I don't understand how to level up, or find new portals, or what an XMP burst is... And I have also noticed that there isn't anything like this on the web anywhere. I know its still in beta, and supposed to maintain a moderate level of confidentiality, but I can't beta test it if I don't know what to do? So I've compiled a list of things that confuse the heck out of me.

1. What are levels? And how do I gain them? I can go around recharging stuff and hacking already owned portals for stuff, but I don't know how I would level up. Everything around me all has L4-L5 resonators so I can't upgrade them with my L1s.

2. What's the targeting system about? Is there any point to it other than to mark a place? And how do I make it go away? When I stand near it nothing happens.

3. What is an XMP burst?

4. How do I find new portals? Do I have to be standing next to it with the app open? Or when a new portal is added does it just appear on the map and who ever gets there first gets it?

5. How do I link? I know you get portal keys and when you have them in two places you can link, I've done it before. But how come I can't seem to link any of them together? I mean, I go to my second fav portal, and click link, but I cant select my favorite portal to link it to. Why? Do the resonators have to be a certain level to go a certain distance?

6. And then finally some advice, I'm posting some pictures of where I am, and I have no portals nearby, and I don't live in the middle of nowhere, I'm in north Scottsdale Arizona. In a pretty nice area, but with nothing special really. Does me joining ingress in the first place not really even matter? Because these are the only ones I can reach regularly without making a trip out of it.

And the other map is of downtown Phoenix, about 4 hours away. Is ingress really meant to be played here? Well, obviously yes, but because I'm geography isolated (I guess) does that decrease my ability to be useful? I guess I'm trying to justify checking my email eagerly ever morning for two months, then to not being able to participate.

But anyways I'm here at the mouse point. And the northernmost point is just barely withing biking distance. And definatly out of walking distance. For scale purposes.

[​IMG]

And then this is downtown Phoenix, where "walking Distance" would probably be about the size of one of the dots.

[​IMG]

Advertisement