• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Initial impressions of GV1.8

I'll start looking round for dialler replacements I think, ones that have the HTC functionality (and tbh they can't look much worse than Stock Android lol)
If you ever go back to GingerVillain, try Dialer One, that's what I was using and it works just like HTC Sense (where you type a number and it searches for name). There are a few more that's available in the market however Dialer One is free :D

Does anyone know if I can turn off the new copy and paste functionality in Gingerbread? I use swype and in Froyo, when I double tap a word, it displays other words but in Gingerbread, its the new copy and paste thing so when I double tap a word, instead of suggested words, I get the option to Cut, Copy, etc.

Upvote 0
Does the hardware BACK key works? That's what I always use with swype as it doesn't have a dedicated one for it.
That's what I generally use.

If you want a "smart dialer" but don't like Dialer One, Go Dialer also offers that functionality. Personally I've come to like the black theme of the android dialer and can live without smart dialling (I just use the search key), but I've got this one too to see how it develops.

Upvote 0
I'd like to go back to the android keyboard - after all my bitching and moaning about it.
I liked holding down the key for punctuation and have discovered that the HTC keyboard isn't quite as good as I remember it.
Unfortunately there isn't a stock android keyboard in Insertcoin, but no matter.
I got used to the HTC keyboard the first time - I can get used to it again.

Upvote 0
If you ever go back to GingerVillain, try Dialer One, that's what I was using and it works just like HTC Sense (where you type a number and it searches for name). There are a few more that's available in the market however Dialer One is free :D

Does anyone know if I can turn off the new copy and paste functionality in Gingerbread? I use swype and in Froyo, when I double tap a word, it displays other words but in Gingerbread, its the new copy and paste thing so when I double tap a word, instead of suggested words, I get the option to Cut, Copy, etc.

Looked at Dialer One but there were loads of complaints about the permissions (geo location tracking) so I went with Go contacts in the end.
Looks quite nice and works very much like Sense dialler.

Upvote 0
My lock screen sounds are not working, they are set to play but logcat error says=

error (1, -2147483648)
playSounds: failed to load ringtone from uri: file:///system/media/audio/ui/Unlock.ogg

EDIT: lol file wasnt even in the directory, found it in another ROM and put them in .zip before flashing

Thanks! :)
Fixed it for me too, it's amazing how the little things complete our lives ;)

Upvote 0
I always use Google gesture search to find contacts, now have it set up as my default contacts link on the Launcher Pro dock. You write the first couple of letters with your finger and it pulls up all the matches, then select the one you want and call them.

Took a little getting used to but I really like it now.

Upvote 0
My lock screen sounds are not working, they are set to play but logcat error says=

error (1, -2147483648)
playSounds: failed to load ringtone from uri: file:///system/media/audio/ui/Unlock.ogg

EDIT: lol file wasnt even in the directory, found it in another ROM and put them in .zip before flashing
My sounds aren't working either. But I don't know if I can be bothered to do that. Are the sounds worth it lol?

Upvote 0
Looked at Dialer One but there were loads of complaints about the permissions (geo location tracking) so I went with Go contacts in the end.
Looks quite nice and works very much like Sense dialler.

I like Go Contacts but haven't found how to clear the missed call notifications, having to go into the stock dialer each time to clear them at the moment.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones