1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Inspire and a new HSPA Sim Card. Need Confirmation?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Androidjunkee, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Androidjunkee

Androidjunkee Well-Known Member

Ive seen this topic being discussed in several threads but haven't seen a confirmation. Do I need to go swap out my SIM card before picking up the phone at RadioShack Sunday morning?? Thanks fellas.

Also, if this is the case does anyone know if RadioShack can do it for me in store?? Thanks again guys! And if I dont get an answer ill call AT&T in the morning and then RadioShack to see what the deal is.

Thanks again

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. terrur87

terrur87 Newbie

I'm wondering the same thing. I have an Inspire pre ordered at the Shack. Hopefully they have HSPA sim cards there that would be nice. Post any further updates on info. I'll try calling my local store as well.

3. YouGotRedOnYou

YouGotRedOnYou Android Enthusiast

MarcMaiden has confirmed with us that new sim cards are not needed. Regular 3G sim cards will be fine.

4. Jahmakan

Jahmakan Well-Known Member

That is correct. The only phones that will need these new SIMs are LTE devices... whenever they are launched.

5. mwiles629

mwiles629 Newbie

I wanted to post this in this thread.

If you work for at&t I will take your word about the sim card!
    Thanks!

OK I just found where I read it. I'll Try and post it below.

6. Blanco720

Blanco720 Android Enthusiast

HSPA+ isnt new technology. When we went from 2G to 3G, there was a technology change requiring a new sim card. You often hear HSPA+ referred to as 3G+ and thats because its technically the same technology. LTE is a brand new technology so switching to that will require a new sim card. I do not think that a new card will be necessary because of this.

mwiles629 likes this.
  7. YouGotRedOnYou

YouGotRedOnYou Android Enthusiast

^^^^^ this. hspa+ is piggy-backing on top of the 3G network, and essentially is an extension to the signal. A new card is not necessary until LTE is deployed for phones that use it.

8. bbgeekchic

bbgeekchic Newbie

^^exactly what he said. Knowing this from running a telecommunications business.. and the fact that my AT&T rep personally delivered my screen protector and case to me at work (on his break) we discused this very thing when he got here, as I was questioning it. The new SIM card will not be needed until LTE

9. kb58

kb58 Well-Known Member

Just yesterday I was in my local ATT store for them to transfer contacts from my BB into the Inspire. They noticed I was using my original BB 3G SIM card in the Inspire, and said I needed to "upgrade it." They didn't charge me for the new one which was odd. I could see how they might push it to make extra money, but as the card was free, apparently it's just confusion on their part if it's unnecessary.

10. kimtyson

kimtyson Member

They don't charge for SIM cards. They are always free.

11. rapjr72

rapjr72 Lurker

They are not always free, btw. If you lock your card by entering the wrong password too many times they charge you for a new one. Also I just got my inspire from radio shack and they asked me if I wanted a new sim card. And of course when I asked if I would be charged for it, they said yes. Can't remember how much though.

12. Jus10

Jus10 Well-Known Member

I know this thread is for the HTC Inspire, but the topic is the same... I just bought the Infuse and put my 3G SIM into it, I'm not connecting to the web at all. Anybody have any idea why?