1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Inspire to Atrix and back to Inspire

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rg7718, May 30, 2011.

1. rg7718

rg7718 Member
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Shepherd
    Chicago
    Yes, yet another one of these threads :eek:

I'll try to keep it concise, but the long and short of it is: they're both outstanding phones, and having owned both, I can say with great confidence that the Atrix's Achilles heel is the locked bootloader (no big surprise). And, if you're into development and custom ROMs, the choice is pretty clear. I'm sure this isn't news to any regulars on this forum :D

But I don't have many complaints against the Atrix aside from that. The display is gorgeous, it's incredibly fast (Motoblur be damned) and gimmicky or not, I quite like the fingerprint scanner and the LapDock...

But the inability to flash custom ROMs has turned out to be a dealbreaker for me. And HTC's recent announcement in regard to that matter has earned my respect in spades. HTC has a very bright future, and I'm salivating at the thought of picking up the Sensation :)

But this is an Inspire forum :p

The only issues I have with the Inspire are the lack of a front facing camera and the less than stellar battery life...but I can certainly live with that. Once this phone is rooted, its power is unleashed. I've seen Quadrant scores on my phone in the neighborhood of 2400+, running the GingerBeast ROM (and overclocked, full disclosure)...quite impressive, I think. Possibly the most bang for your buck at the moment.

So, as much as I like my Atrix, it's just doesn't work for development-minded folks such as me. Off it goes, into the Craigslist void ;)

Of course, the moment the Atrix leaves my possesion, I'm sure Motorola will amend their bootloader policy :D

Advertisement

2. ultradroid

ultradroid So many android phones...
    None

Apr 24, 2010
    Title Insurance Underwriter
    Cleveland, Ohio - the North Coast!
    I believe that Motorola did just that, in the last week or so. Also, I own a Droid X and we just received Gingerbread, 2.3.3 and low and behold, I was able to re-root using Z4Root. Motorola gives the appearance that they've changed their tune about rooting and custom roms, and there's reasonable hope that they will simply unlock the bootloaders on the DX and Atrix. My point is that I believe you're bailing on the Atrix too early.

What's wrong with having both the Inspire and the Atrix?

-Mike

3. rg7718

rg7718 Member
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Shepherd
    Chicago
    I'd love to keep both...but financially, I just can't justify it at the moment. It'd be nice, though. A Gingerbread update for the Atrix (which I see is in the pipeline) will be an awesome upgrade.

4. ultradroid

ultradroid So many android phones...
    None

Apr 24, 2010
    Title Insurance Underwriter
    Cleveland, Ohio - the North Coast!
    Yes it will, and I think it may happen soon because Motorola and the various service providers are going to want to clean their decks of all the Gingerbread issues so they can concentrate on the Ice-Cream Sandwich issues that will be rolling in, come the 4th Quarter of 2011.

-Mike

5. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    Male
    Houston, TX
    My personal opinion in regards to the Atrix is that if you want to experience dual core it's best to go the tablet route. As far as we know, no phone is going to run honeycomb and that's where all your dual core optimization lies. Not just certain apps, but you get the full experience with an OS that's multi-threaded and designed to utilize all of it's processing power.

That's just my take on it.

6. blackship

blackship Lurker
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    This.