1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Inspire update cycle on AT&T

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Blanco720, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Blanco720

Blanco720 Android Enthusiast

So for many of us, AT&T's less than stellar track record pertaining to device OS updates is a real point of concern. Coming from a blackberry with AT&T, it was essential to pick up official (and unofficial, at times) OS releases from foreign carriers in order to address issues or get that new feature I wanted.

Clearly, AT&T has committed to the Android OS as we can see by all the devices they are pushing this year. Android OS sees updates frequently and in order to bring customers the best experience, AT&T must adjust their policy on OS upgrades.

My question for everyone is: What do you think the timeframe from an official Google publish to when AT&T launches an OTA update for our beautiful phone?

HTC is known for fast launches so this is something to keep in mind. The link below shows that Samsung and AT&T took about 7 months to update. What are you thoughts.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/16/samsung-captivate-on-atandt-gets-android-2-2-all-that-froyo-hasn/

(this post made in part so we have something to read besides Dots on screens and Battery Life, LOL)

Advertisement

2. sarstube

sarstube Member

HOLY CHIT

I honestly thought this day may never come. The craptivate is officially updated to froyo!

Now, verizon is best the carrier for updates (looking past at froyo) moto is the best manufacturer but htc is in a close second. att is the worst big carrier at froyo updates, BTW.

i will honestly say this was a big reason why i choose inspire over moto. i really don't care about getting 2.3 or 2.4 anytime soon on the inspire. but i kept hearing that atrix wasn't really as fast because it needed 2.3/2.4, then all the apps needed to be designed for the dual core as well. i wasn't going to play the waiting game again (former craptivate owner) for my phone to function the way it should.

so with the inspire i could say "screw that jazz, 2.2 is butter." would i like 2.3? probably, but what does it bring to the table that i would actually use on the inspire? not much-to-nothing.

HOWEVER, the craptivate update brings hope that att will be droid friendly from now on since iphone changed it's status from "in a relationship" to "in an open relationship"

3. Oridus

Oridus Android Enthusiast

The link that Engadget posted doesn't work. Figures lol. :( I was about to call all my Captivate customers and tell them how to get a spoonful of Froyo.

4. g_patrick15

g_patrick15 Android Enthusiast

HTC will have the update available before any other manufacturer most likely. If they get it to AT&T in a timely manner, I don't see them holding it for too long. Samsung, on the other hand, has a bad reputation of hardly updating their devices regardless of carrier, so I don't think the blame should fall entirely (but mostly) on AT&T. That's what these carriers get for putting out 5 models of the same phone with minor differences. Had they just launched a generic galaxy s across the board, instead of the captivate, fascinate, hallucinate, fabricate, vibrant, and epic, I doubt it would have taken ~7 months to update it.

5. Blanco720

Its on your end as it works fine for me.

6. Oridus

Wanna link it?

7. Oridus

8. Blanco720

Here is the text, from that working link:

It took about two months for Samsung to roll out the much-needed GPS fix for the Captivate, and now, a mere seven months after Google pulled a handle on the machine and twirled up a big cone of Froyo, that phone is finally getting a spoonful. Samsung has released an Android 2.2 update and the full instructions plus the download are on the other end of the source link below. Hopefully it isn't too frostbitten after all this time.

9. Oridus

I can get to the engadget page... What i'm saying is this:

Engadget says that the source link for that post will take you to the android 2.2 update... and it does not.

The link looks like:

Source: Samsung <--- the word samsung is the source link they refer to in the post. Nobody is able to find where Samsung is releasing the update.... the download does not exist atm.

10. sarstube

sarstube Member

bwahahahaha!

edit: looks like i still might be right, no flash vids for craptivate yet

11. Blanco720

I see. I was posting mainly to reference the time frame for implementation.

12. MassacrMan

MassacrMan Android Enthusiast

Did Samsung release 2.2 for the Captivate then say "uh oh it's wrong, we take that back"?

13. Chew

Chew Android Enthusiast

It's Samsung, what do you expect? :p

14. MassacrMan

Well as of right now I really don't care as I'm in the loving hands of HTC now who updates their phones faster than any other manufacturer.

But I'd expect Samsung to say: "give us 7 more months to fix things".

15. I'm done with Samsung they totally underwhelmed with there support/ issues

MassacrMan likes this.
  16. MassacrMan

That was 100% the reason why I donated my Captivate to the military to use to call back home and bought an HTC Inspire 4G.

shawn1224 and Blanco720 like this.

17. As long as my phone isn't Apple it will be an HTC

MassacrMan likes this.
  18. Chew

Chew Android Enthusiast

I hope the soldier who gets your phone doesn't have to rely on the GPS for anything important.

19. norsairius

norsairius Newbie

I would hope the soldier doesn't need to do anything that would require the phone to be fast either.

20. I think the soldier would just want to make phone calls

21. leavinghome

leavinghome Member

Wow. Not that this would make me love my Captivate all over again, cos I wouldn't. I really just thought they already gave up on 2.2 for the Captivate. I went to the link and there was an update. Seems either ATT or Samsung pulled the update already? Poor customers :(

22. Blanco720

As a Soldier, i would like to thank you for supporting the troops! good man!

23. MassacrMan

You're very welcome sir, I know you guys want to and need to talk to your family as much as possible to keep your spirits up. I just hope my donation goes to a soldier who needs it the most.

24. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation

I served 8 years in the US Army and I'd like to thank you too. HOOOAH