• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Inspire vs Samsung Captivate

Definitely the Inspire. You will get a better out of the box experience than the Captivate. I had to do a lot of modification to get my Captivate to a point where its pleasing to use and there are still some quirks.

I'm eager to see how AT&T improves its software update process. They sell (or have sold) 5+ Android devices (some Motorola device(s), Dell Streak, Samsung Captivate, HTC Aria, & Sony Ericsson Xperia X10) and none of them, AFAIK, have received a platform upgrade, even though there international counterparts have. I wish the market for unbranded handsets was better in the US.

Upvote 0
I'm freaking sold by this video. So sold in fact, that I am returning my Samsung captivate to the store and getting the Inspire. Sorry Samsung, I bought your phone, and now I have made up my mind to return it before UPS has even delivered it.

I used the Captivate for 3 months and you're definitely making the right decision. I noticed the Captivate's bugs the first day I got it and they increased from there. The Inspire is insanely smooth and quick.

Upvote 0
I'm just kind of worried about the hoops I'll have to jump through to exchange it, considering I bought it from a company called car toys, not the main stores like at&t, walmart, or best buy. The captivate could really be a capable phone, if samsung/att will let it be.

I considered rooting and installing Froyo on the Captivate, but then I thought, "Why would I void my warranty, when I can just get a phone with it already on it?" Plus, I always liked HTC devices, there just never was a good android HTC for AT&T.

P.S. Has anyone bought and/or exchanged with Car Toys? I bought from their online store, but I would like to return to their store in Houston so I don't have to wait for shipping to all be done.

Upvote 0
I used the Captivate for 3 months and you're definitely making the right decision. I noticed the Captivate's bugs the first day I got it and they increased from there. The Inspire is insanely smooth and quick.

Agreed. My Captivate would freeze often and after 4-5 missed calls (it would ring, but the screen wouldn't respond), that was the final straw.

Upvote 0
this isn't even a fair comparison. as a captivate owner who got annoyed with the lag (it was really bad at times) and lack of transparency of the updates, I moved on to WP7 just to try something new. WP7 is great in its simplicity and ability to get things done just as simply, but it lacks the variety of android.

that said, the inspire is good enough to have made me want to go back to android again. my upgrade is unfortunately too far away for me to get it at a good price... though I've seriously been considering getting it off contract.

get the HTC Inspire 4G. Samsung is out of their minds if they think the Captivate would be any good in comparison, especially with the outdated version of Android it's been running for far too long. even with froyo, I'm not sure that the captivate would be able to keep up with the inspire.

get the captivate, and you'll regret you didn't get the inspire.
get the inspire, and you'll be glad you ignored the captivate.

the only other phone you might want to look at is the motorola atrix when that comes out soon, but that's about it. the inspire is a perfectly good phone though.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, and hey Ferrari.

I hope this is ok that I'm x-posting, but over at Android Central there was also an Inspire Vs Captivate thread. And tho I'm not professional reviewer, here is what I had to say:

(Smart) Phone History: Original iPhone, iPhone 3G, BlackBerry Bold, Nexus One, Captivate, Inspire!

* Aesthetics- Coming from the Captivate (and Nexus One before that) I gotta say I love the look and feel of this phone. The added weight is plus for me as well. Heavier phones always make the phone feel sturdier to me.

* Screen- Although the AMOLED is supposed to be better than Super LCD, I honestly can't see much difference. Very nice and crisp.

* Hardware - Like the Nexus One, the metal body just feels better in the hand than high grade plastic.

* Phone - Good call quality so far (have made about 15-20 calls so far), have not used bluetooth yet. Speakerphone could be a little louder...

* Overall User Interface (including HTC Sense) - First phone with sense and love it. In my opinion Sense KILLS TouchWiz (Captivate). No lag whatsoever, very responsive.

* Widgets - Love the assortment of widgets! Even downloaded a couple from HTC (they have a pretty cool to-do list and sticky notes widget + more!). I'm very hesitant in using more than a few as the battery isn't the best on this phone.

* Signal quality (Compared to other devices) - Although we all have our gripes with ATT and their reliability, I gotta say that I haven't had any dropped calls since I was on the original iPhone. So far so good on the Inspire!

* GPS - What can I say? The Captivate found my location no more than 2 times in the 3+ months I had it. Inspire has found me every single time.

* Social Networking - As of right now, I'm using the FB app and not friendstream. I used it when I first got it, but I just like the overall look of the FB app vs. friendstream. Nice addition tho!

* Email/Calendar - Don't use the stock email app so I can't say much about that, but gmail syncing was a breeze!

* Battery Life - Like previous posters have said, the battery isn't the best. Usually unplug around 9-10AM, heavy usage, usually have to charge by 8-9PM.

* Performance - No complaints whatsoever. Quick, responsive, and out performs most if not all my previous smartphones.

* Media (music, movies, DLNA) - Have no used these features yet but will update once I do. DLNA seems like a pretttttty sweet addition tho!

* Keyboard's - Love the keyboard. Took some getting used to... well, still getting used to it. Layout is a lot different than the Captivate.

* Camera (both still & video) - No complaints here! Both have performed very well. Love the added filters that the camera gives you!

* How the Inspire compares to your previous smartphone (if applicable) - Bigger screen than any phone I've had previously (could be a con to some, but definitely a pro to me!), GPS works in a pinch, no lag whatsoever. Definitely the best phone I've purchased to date (again, with the exception of battery life).

* Disappointments (if any) - Wish they would have added a bigger battery, the volume rocker and power button are a little recessed. The speakerphone could be louder and I've noticed some distorting in my custom ringtones. They sounded near perfect on my Captivate. Not sure if anyone has had a similar problem.

Hope this helps! Keep in mind, I don't HATE Samsung or Captivate, I just didn't like the fact that the phones had certain features that just didn't work. Also, whether it's the carrier or Samsung, OS updates do take a while to receive.

Reactions: Black_Cat
Upvote 0
Im like an evil genius. Htc should so pay me
I would add _Brilliant_ Evil Genius ... :)

I'm so glad that HTC & AT&T worked together, to bring us this phone. I'm just blown away at how good it is.

With all due modesty, I'm hard to impress when it comes to smartphones because I work in the tech sector. I live & breathe mobile computing & communications, have loads of new phones & laptops, so it's got to be really well done & well balanced, with feature sets that make sense to impress me.

HTC has hit a home run with this model.

Perfect? No.

Excellent? Yes, Very.

THE BEST... thus far.

Reactions: AndreaCristiano
Upvote 0
I hope this is ok that I'm x-posting, but over at Android Central there was also an Inspire Vs Captivate thread. And tho I'm not professional reviewer, here is what I had to say
Kudos for an excellent, fair & balanced review! Nice work :)

I'm in complete agreement with you. The only differences is the fact I got very lucky (compared to the forum posts) and got a Captivate with zero problems. Then I spent some time optimizing it, so it's returning great battery life, has no lag, nor any other annoyances.

As far as my HTC Inspire, it's simply Stellar!

There's not a single thing wrong with it, and I'm very picky.

I have four smartphones currently activated, on the lines I maintain just for the purpose of variety and testing. Here they are ranked in order of my personal experience.

Each phone I bought new upon release, the point being, I have a lot of time on each except the very recently released Inspire which I've used non-stop since I got it Sunday @ mid day.

1) HTC Inspire 4G
No complaints: rank 97% satisfied.
(would like just one door on back, & flush camera lens) minor personal preferences.

2) Samsung Captivate
A few changes I'd like to see: rank 85%

3) Motorola Droid X
Several faults & changes needed: rank: 75%

4) Apple iPhone 4
Very over hyped & bug ridden: rank: 50%

Upvote 0
* How the Inspire compares to your previous smartphone (if applicable) - Bigger screen than any phone I've had previously (could be a con to some, but definitely a pro to me!), GPS works in a pinch, no lag whatsoever. Definitely the best phone I've purchased to date (again, with the exception of battery life).

* Disappointments (if any) - Wish they would have added a bigger battery, the volume rocker and power button are a little recessed. The speakerphone could be louder and I've noticed some distorting in my custom ringtones. They sounded near perfect on my Captivate. Not sure if anyone has had a similar problem.

Hope this helps! Keep in mind, I don't HATE Samsung or Captivate, I just didn't like the fact that the phones had certain features that just didn't work. Also, whether it's the carrier or Samsung, OS updates do take a while to receive.

I agree. On all points.

Upvote 0
Well after all the headaches with rooting this inspire. I am no longer staying with the inspire and when the nexus S arrives on att officially I will exchange my inspire for that. This has made me decide that I will only by the Nexus line from now on. All the bloatware is nothing but a headache

Really? It's not that bad =/. I've had my Inspire for a week. Never touched android or really even known anything about it before this. Took the plunge last night with attn1's hack kit and cleardroid rom/radio (OTA updated). hack kit took very little time, had no issues. new mod and radio install went swimmingly too. Was hardly a headache. what did you have issues with exactly? truly it was very simple :(.

Reactions: Simba501
Upvote 0
I, unfortunately, got a captivate in November of last year. Nothing but headaches. New from AT&t ..

1. Came with AD 2.1. ???
2. Kept shutting off randomly. Upgrade to 2.2 did not help.
3. Got a new one from warranty in late April.
4. After a several weeks the same thing started happening.
5. Got a new battery from warranty.
6. On 6/25/2011 the speaker quit working. So I can see a call but can't hear the ring.

FYI .. I
Have never dropped it.
No water damage.
Never installed apps or customized because it would not stay on long enough.
Hardly every use it actually. Compared to most people.

So my view of Samsung mobile products is not good to say the least. Once my 3rd one comes in it is going on Ebay. I hope Samsung goes under. Terrible .. just terrible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones