1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Inspire wont stay connected to linksys wireless....

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by yesrocks, Jan 6, 2012.

1. yesrocks

yesrocks Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    and I am getting pissed. Ha ha ha

I have a WGR54T linksys with the most recent firmware. If I leave the router setup to default, no security set up, the phone and my wifes samsung droid 4g will connect no issues, have fun all day.
    But when I put any type of security up where I have to put in the info to get in it will authenticate, connects, says connected then 5 secs or so later it drops the connection.
    My wifes laptop got on fine, does not drop and my sons Iphone 3 got on fine and is not dropping.
    Today I installed a Dlink wireliess router at my moms and my phone got on it just fine and stayed connected.
    I have it set for WPA2 PERSONAL with AES for security.
    Network mode is MIXED, channel 6.
    Auto config DHCP enabled
    DHCP server enabled
    Am I missing something????

Advertisement

2. yesrocks

yesrocks Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    I have tried WEP and the other security settings and same issue with all of them.

3. gnosisjunky

gnosisjunky Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 2, 2011
    In a consult with my computer nerd brother in collaboration with my phone nerd self I may or may not have a work around for this but it's gonna be a bit of work. He suggested trying Mac address filtering on your Linksys. In other words disable any form of security and create a list of Mac addresses your router will allow to connect with. This will keep your network secure but the data will not be encrypted. You can obviously display the Mac address on your inspire and other androids in the wireless and network settings. I hope this helps

4. accman83

accman83 Lurker
    None

Jan 12, 2012
    MAC addresses are easily cloned, this is old school and very easy to do.
    So, if you live in an area with college kids looking to mooch or anyone wanting to use your connection - MAC address filtering is not secure from anyone even mildly savvy at figuring it out.

Just be careful

A note:

Linksys used to have a "timeout" setting in the router, not allowing connections to last for more than X hours. it may be the culprit.
    Make sure that isn't still in the router settings, I use Netgear now so I don't know what Linksys still has.