1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Install android fonts on xt720

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Lowry76, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Lowry76

Lowry76 New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Male
    Hi all,

my girlfriend bought a motorola xt720. Seems to be the US or the GB version. Since she bought it I try to figure out how to install japanese fonts. I am not talking about japanese input. I am aware of Simeji and other Apps for input. But the font itself is not supported: emails, web-pages, sms in japanese are not supported at all although I read that Android 2.1 does it out of the box. So I guess for US or european version the east asian language pack was removed.
    Does anyone know how to (re)-install the language pack and where to find it?

Thanks,
    Lowry

Advertisement

2. Lowry76

Lowry76 New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Male
    No ideas anyone? I mean I'm totally new to android/smartphone OSs but absolutely not new to unix. As far as I understand it the font should just be some kind of file I have to put into a particular directory, right? Can't be that no one has done that or knows something?

Appreciate any help,
    Lowry

3. dragn

dragn New Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Hi, Lowry. I had the same problem with my xt720, and I found the solution.
    In two words, you must find and download DroidSansJapanese.ttf file and copy it to your system directory /system/fonts. Sounds simple, but in order to have write access to /system/fonts directory, you must have root access. I managed to do this with Universal Androot application (to gain root-access), and Root Explorer app (to copy file, can be found on Market).
    Universal Androot can be downloaded from here: [APP] [ROOT] 1-click root for N1 (Latest ver: 1.6.2 beta 5) - xda-developers.