1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Install Android Security Updates without Updating OS???

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by LarrySAZ, Jul 8, 2016.

1. LarrySAZ

LarrySAZ Lurker
    None

Jun 3, 2011
    Hi,

BACKGROUND:
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900V). About a month ago I was excited to receive the OTA update to Android 6.0, but then I started experiencing battery and Bluetooth issues, so I downgraded back to 5.0 - what a pain to wipe my phone and then install all of my apps and settings.

ISSUE:

I understand Google just released their July security updates which fix some critical security flaws.

QUESTION:

Is it possible to install the security updates without upgrading the OS to 6.0???

Thank you

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Hey Larry, welcome to our AndroidForums :).

It's possible only if the security updates OTA was sent-out in a completely separate package--i.e., not wrapped-up in the 6.x release/fileset.

The security updates, like any OTA (over-the-air) update often come in / as patch files that update existing (and version-dependent) files. So, they can't patch files that were built and meant for a different version of the OS since they would likely be different.

For a non patched-based OTA (i.e., a block-based one), you're basically getting a "big bang" of changes all in one file (i.e., that ultimately represents many files/directories/partitions) and are also OS and firmware-specific/dependent.

So, short answer is probably no, I'm afraid.

Jfalls63 likes this.
  3. LarrySAZ

LarrySAZ Lurker
    None

Jun 3, 2011
    Hi scary alien,

Thank you for the reply. I was hoping there was some apk or zip file I could flash or something. I guess I'll keep declining the updates. I swore I'd never get an Iphone, but the issues with Android updates has me reconsidering that, or perhaps I'll choose a Nexus for my next phone.

4. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama
    Did you try a factory reset after the update to 6.0? Usually helps after a large update to get rid of anything left behind in the data and cache partition from the previous version. Most just boot into recovery and wipe the cache partition but I prefer a full reset. Devices seem to run a lot smoother with less glitches.

chanchan05 and scary alien like this.