• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Install different rom

gregg1100

Android Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2012
South Wales
I have an old S3 Gti9300 which is rooted and has Omnirom V5 KK4.4.4 installed.
I want to try putting ASOP Android 6 on it, but not sure how to proceed.
I have a Nandroid backup saved on SD card and on my pc, and TWRP installed on the phone.
Do I go into recovery and tap the twrp backup button ?? I will have the ASOP rom and Gapps installed on SD card before I start. Then install the new rom.??
It doesn't really matter if I naff the phone up, but would rather not, obviously.
Any advice welcome.
Thank you.

Not familiar with the device or proposed rom, so would advise checking the ROM's XDA thread (or wherever it's from for any specific install instructions or requirements.

But the general procedure for a ROM install is: back up apps/data (e.g. with Titanium), go into recovery, make a backup in recovery (nandroid), factory reset, install ROM, install gapps if required, reboot, reinstall backup app, restore apps/data.

If it doesn't work, back into recovery and restore backup.

Upvote 0
Hey @gregg1100 :).

Don't forget we also have an SG S3 root area here at AF that you can view/post in (or I can move your thread there, too--lemme know).

I see some guy named @Mikestony posts in there occasionally who might have some helpful ideas for you :) ;) :p (in addition to the helpful/excellent advice you already received from Sir @Hadron).

Upvote 0
After much faffing around tonight, I finally got Resurrection Remix Android 6.01 on my old Galaxy S3.
Looking at the 5.1.1 and 6.01, there does not appear to be much difference. The nandroid backup will be backed up on my pc tomorrow- had enough of phones and puters tonight..

Attachments

• 20160119_233338[1].jpg
    20160119_233338[1].jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 30
Upvote 0
Fun and Games.

Read a thread on here today about dangers of using Kingo Root, so thought I would look harder at my phones.
Used Kingo root to root this phone. S3 Galaxy-GTi9300
Tried to use Titanium today- the app told me that phone was not rooted.
Installed Root Checker which told me that phone was not properly rooted. No sign of Kingo anywhere on phone.
How did I replace stock 4.3 rom with 6.01 then without root ??? Resurrection Remix rom

My Tab 2 tablet 7" was also rooted with Kingo, That too is NOT properly rooted according to Root Checker. No mention of Kingo and no Supersu

My other Galaxy S3 was also rooted with Kingo. SuperSu is ok, as is rootchecker saying the phone has proper root. Again, no sign of Kingo. Bliss Pop rom 5.1.1 How come one phone is ok and the other not, or was there code in the rom that sorted/bypassed Kingo stuff.??

So I assume that I have got to go back to stock via Nandroid backups, root the proper way and reflash the roms and Gapps again. Which Odin to use-----3.07, 3.09 ???
I had better send out for tea, coffee and biscuits--maybe a long night, lol.
Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
If you have any other option at all avoid Kingo to root. If you do have to use kingo (not enough devs for device etc, which I believe S3 and Note 4 there are plenty) you usually can replace the KingoSU app or whatever it's called with a legit SuperSU, but I believe it can be a pain.
I assume the reason the S3 is properly rooted is because you managed to flash RR which I think has SuperSU baked into the ROM and the kernel will be self rooted too, probably struck lucky with that one :D
If you don't have KingoSU app on the other devices, try another root and see if it puts it there, if so I can find the post here to link how to change it to SuperSU...or just unroot with Kingo and root through a more desirable method ;)

Upvote 0
Right- after going back to 4.3 with nandroid restore, I set about trying to root properly on one of the S3's.
What followed was a nightmare. There is so many versions of Odin, CF Autoroot that I didn't know which to choose.
The download for CF autoroot gave the latest version, also latest Odin version3.10.6. With no PDA box
No wonder some people use Kingo.

Upvote 0
In newer version of Odin, AP takes the place of PDA.
You could grab the TWRP tar file from here
https://dl.twrp.me/i9300/
SuperSu zip from here
https://download.chainfire.eu/696/SuperSU
Copy SuperSU zip to SD card.
Flash TWRP with Odin. Leave Auto Reboot unchecked. When you get pass with Odin, unplug phone,remove and replace battery. Boot into TWRP recovery and flash SuperSU zip.

Upvote 0
Downloaded supersu to ext. sd card. Flashed twrp into the AP box- NO PASS. Twrp 2.8.6.0 already on phone. Flashed Supersu, then rom then gapps. The one S3 was showing as properly rooted with Rootchecker for 4 days, - now NOT. The other phone is the same- not properly rooted. No sign of Supersu on either.
However, Resurrection Remix rom is on both s3's. How it can put rom on without root beats me.

Upvote 0
Your after thought has me lost completely, lol. I did try another rootchecker just in case the original was naff. Looked all over the phone in settings- can't see any standalone app at all.
Has me beat, which is not hard. :). Perhaps it is a remnant of kingo, but I would have thought the twrp wipe would have knocked that out. Having said that, it would be in part of the original 4.3 setup which would have been included with nandroid backup, perhaps ??
Thanks for help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones