• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Install Problem

Hey,

Could anybody help me out with my install?:thinking: I got all of the way to the Run Configuration and it gives me error messages...

Description Resource Path Location Type
Project 'test' is missing required source folder: 'gen' test Build path Build Path Problem

The project cannot be built until build path errors are resolved test Unknown Java Problem

Any ideas from anybody?:thinking: I am just getting stated with Eclipse. I learned Java via BlueJ and work with MSVS and quite a bit of Oracle. I am still at the area to get the emulator up with No success.

THANKS IN ADVANCE:D

Hi,

I'll have a go at helping, but I could do with a bit more info.
Could you say what steps you've been through already please.

As you're new to Eclipse, will this be a new installation of Eclipse.
Have you installed the SDK & the Eclipse Android plugin? Were there any problems?

Did you create your project from scratch from within Eclipse, or did you start off with some existing code? Maybe a downloaded example?

If you've done all those setup steps, and are using some example code, it might be an idea to create a new Android project from scratch. That way the Android plugin will set up all the folders and paths for you correctly.

Create a new project with
Code:
  File -> New... ->  Android

You'll be prompted for some information: enter a project name, choose a target, enter names for the App, package, and Activity.

If you've entered valid values then you'll be able to press the Finish button.
It will create a project that you should be able to run under the emulator, and will give you a simple Hello World application.

Right click on the project in the Package Explorer window, and choose
Code:
 Run As -> Android Application

Let me know how you get on. It should provide some clues to what's not working for you.

Mark

Upvote 0
Hi markb,

Thanks for replying. I will go back and run through my entire install including the actual files names of each version by this weekend to show you exactly step by step what I have done.

This should give you or anybody else all of the details for a more complete view of my issue. My problem may only be a java or eclipse configuration issue which I hope is the case. I work a lot through the week on other problems and I will have more time this weekend to provide you with the full details of my install.

Please be patient for me to get this posted this weekend, Thanks!

CrypticDragon

Upvote 0
I followed the install method as descibed in this forum...

http://androidforums.com/developer-101/2314-installing-eclipse-android-sdk-windows-xp.html

All files have been unzipped and placed in their correct folders. The system variables path in the enviroment variables dilog box were added c:\android\tools

The three files used are...

java_ee_sdk-5_08-jdk-6u17-windows.exe
android-sdk_r04-windows.zip
eclipse-java-ganymede-SR2-win32.zip

I just now deleted everything except the installed Java and started completely over and made it all of the way to the end just like before and I can not get to the emulator. I get the same following error message at what I assume is the compile...

The project cannot be built until build path errors are resolved testrun Unknown Java Problem

This driving me nuts.:cool: I am expert at coding in a dozen languages and this simple install just is not working out at the very end just before the emulator.

Any other ideas that you can think of for this error message?

Thanks In Advance.

CrypticDragon

Upvote 0
Hi CrypticDragon,

I was about to suggest creating a project from scratch, but those instructions you link to already go through that.

Those instructions are from 2008 though, and things will have changed since then.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, in the hope it might provide some clues, could you try to create a new android project please.

Code:
File -> New -> Android Project

You'll get this dialog: (yours might be slightly different as I haven't updated my SDK for a while)

new_project.png

You should then get a new project in Eclipse that looks like this:

eclipse_project.png

Right click on the project name to run the app.

run_app.png

And the app should (eventually) appear in the emulator:

run_in_emulator.png

If all that works for you, then at least we'll know everything is set up correctly.
If it doesn't then it should give us some clues.

Regards,

Mark

Upvote 0
Thanks for the detailed reply with the graphics as well. I will get a chance on Tuesday to try it all out and see if I am following your way. I tutor college students in computer application and computer programming languages at my local college. School starts up again this week and I have some meetings to attend. Most of my students need help in MVC++ or MSVB courses. I run across a Java student once in a while but then my college does not always teach Java every semester. It goes in cycles. SOme years 3rd semester C++ is the structures class and then others 3rd semester Java is the structures class.

BTW, just at a quick glance your New Android Project Dialog looks identical to mine except that I have more options probably because I let google download and install all of the versions. I will go through your examples and graphics this Tuesday,

THANKS!:)

I will go through it all very soon.

CrypticDragon

Upvote 0
Thanks markb,

It is 11:23pm MTN here, Yea Right, Like I am going to wait for Tuesday. Whats a little sleep for computer people. 8 hours every two or three days is enough right?

Anyway it works. The install given in the instructions is older because I am using new version fo the suggested downloads as when it was written. It is still pretty close. I had to do a few things differently after setting up android and eclipse.

You solved one problem for me. It was the right clicking on the name. I still got the error message but after trying it a few times somehow a different message came out and asked me to set up an AVD virtual device. While I had downloaded and installed all versions of the google android stuff I still had to set up a virtual device so the emulator would come up.

I have found that can also be done by choosing window -> Android SDK and AVD Manager -> new

Now the emulator comes up and I have to wait a few for it run to the windows and give my the clickable gui stuff.

Again thanks, the right clicking on the name solved my issue!

:D:D:D:D

CrypticDragon

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones