• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Install WidgetLocker on CyanogenMod 12

How does one actually install WidgetLocker on CyanogenMod 12 if one wishes to minimize the installation of other apps, e.g., Gapps? The WidgetLocker vendor site says the app is purchasable directly, so one doesn't have to go through the Google store, but I was wondering what form it would take.

Also, has anyone found an explanation online for all the permissions needed?

Finally, is there a leaner alternative if I don't really care about fancy widgets, but I just want to get rid of the time display? I'd be looking for something that respects privacy.

The "direct purchase" link tells you that it comes as an apk.

WidgetLocker has similar capabilities to a launcher app, including a lot of direct actions it can perform as well as supporting widgets. So while I've not worked through the entire permission list in detail I would expect they are needed for these various options - that developer's other apps (e.g. Nova Launcher or TeslaLED) are not loaded with permissions which are not needed.

If you search for "lockscreen replacement" in the Play Store you'll find many alternatives. The catch here is your not wanting to install gapps, but you could still search that way and then see whether you could find the ones which look promising to you elsewhere.

Reactions: my1stSmartPhone
Upvote 0
Thanks, Hadron. Regarding the permissions shown in the Google store, I know that they are enforced somehow. Furthermore, there is Privacy Guard (a.k.a. App Ops) in CyanogenMod. Do either of these 2 mechanism get bypassed when installing from an APK?

Afternote: BTW, if anyone can chime in about specific alternatives, I'd appreciate that. From researching the issue of permissions, it seems that developer reputation can still make up for what appears like excessive permissions. Being my first app installation, it will probably take some time for me to get a mental map of reliable developers. In fact, since I aim to minimize installations, I might be a very small map

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The privileges are properties of the app, and enforced by the OS. It doesn't matter where you install from, as long as the apk is unmodified the privileges are the same.

The reason for the "as long as the apk is unmodified" qualifier is that there are shady app stores and download sites where the app may well have been modified. That's not a problem when getting it directly from the developer.

And App Ops works regardless of whether you install from the Play Store or sideload.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones