1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support "Installation Complete"

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by womb raider, Jul 25, 2013.

1. womb raider

womb raider Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 30, 2011
    Glos.
    I was just checking Twitter before work this morning and suddenly I get a little pop up saying "Installation complete". It wasn't in the notification bar but a little message at the bottom of the screen (like when it tells you you've connected to a wifi connection).

Thought this was a bit odd as I hadn't downloaded or installed anything, so here's what I did:

- Checked 'My Downloads'. Nothing out of the ordinary in either 'internet downloads' or 'other downloads'.
    - Checked the download folders in both the stock browser and Firefox (which is my default browser). Nothing in either.
    - Checked to make sure 'auto-update apps' wasn't checked in the Play Store - it wasn't.
    - Checked my 'downloaded applications' and nothing out of the ordinary there. Also checked through the application manager, and again nothing that shouldn't be there.
    - Checked 'About Device' to see if a software update had auto-downloaded but it doesn't appear to have.

Now I have Avast on my phone and have it set up to check apps for malicious content, both on installation and whenever an app runs, and that hasn't given me any warnings.

The only thing strange I DID notice when checking Avast was when I checked my data usage I noticed 'Download Manager' has downloaded 4.5mb data this morning. It's also used 147.8mb this month, so I don't know if today's usage is normal or not?

Is there anything else I can do to check what it could have been that installed?

I'd rather not have to do a factory reset if possible, but will if it looks like my phone's been compromised somehow.

Advertisement

2. womb raider

None

Mar 30, 2011
    Glos.
  3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

How's your device functionality? Notice anything different at all? Any new icons in your app drawer. Have you checked for S2 OTAs getting around? Have you looked in "my files" under "all files" for anything new?..etc. ;)

womb raider likes this.
  4. womb raider

None

Mar 30, 2011
    Glos.
    Thanks for the reply Frisco!

Functionality seems to be fine.

Nothing unusual in my app drawer but I've just had a good look through 'My Files' and within the Android > Data folder there is a folder called "com.chartboost.sdk"

I just Google'd it and it appears to be some kind of mobile advertising service:

https://www.chartboost.com/

Does anyone else have that within their Android > Data folder?

Other strange ones in the same folder are "com.adcyclic" and "com.sec.pcw.hybrid"

Anyone recognise those? Google doesn't tell me much...

5. womb raider

None

Mar 30, 2011
    Glos.
  6. whitecollar

whitecollar Clericus Geekicus
    None

Aug 28, 2010
    Male
    Clergy
    Lakewood, Ohio
    I have it in my folder also.

7. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch!
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    Male
    Production, Warehouse & Installation Manager
    San Antonio, Texas
    I would suggest a factory reset, that should take care of anything you might have picked up. If it continues after that it may be part of the bloatware on your phone.

8. womb raider

None

Mar 30, 2011
    Glos.
    Well I deleted both the com.chartboost.sdk and com.adcyclic folders yesterday and so far it doesn't seem to have messed anything up.

I think I will just have to bite the bullet and do a factory reset on it at some point in the future tho, it's best to be safe.

Quick question tho, if I factory reset it, will I have to download the 4.1.2 update again, or will it keep the current Android version?

9. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch!
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    Male
    Production, Warehouse & Installation Manager
    San Antonio, Texas
    It won't downgrade the version, a factory reset just deletes all user data, apps and files and restores the phone to an "out of box" condition.

womb raider likes this.