1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Installed an APK, now I'm being paranoid

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by UMP, Apr 23, 2012.

1. UMP

UMP Lurker

Hello. I bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 yesterday. It's my first smartphone (upgraded all the way from some old Sony Ericsson) and I think my newbiness is starting to show. I downloaded an app called WidgetLocker Lockscreen from a site called ******. The Market app is a paid one, and this version turned out to be free.

Now as far as I know that site is pretty well regarde, but I'm afraid someone might have tampered with the APK. Being a lockscreen app it asks permissions to use pretty much everything on your phone. I mindlessly clicked "OK" without giving it much thought. I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, but the thought something could be running in the background and stealing my personal data is unnerving. I ran a scan with Lookout and it found nothing.

Sadly I can't link because I'm a new user, so google WidgetLocker Lockscreen 2.2.0 for the app link. It's the first result.

Sorry about the long post.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Sideman

Sideman Well-Known Member

I looked up the WidgetLocker Lockscreen app and, in my opinion, the reviews aren't all that impressive. Several users complain that it runs all the time, so it may cause battery usage issues...along with other complaints about crashes. Personally, I wouldn't use it. I think the lockscreen gestures on my device is plenty secure.

3. UMP

UMP Lurker

I've already uninstalled the app. I'm just worried it might have installed some kind of malicious code on my phone that could steal my data and send it to third parties. I'm not even sure if WidgetLocker used to be free.

...Isn't there a Radiohead song about this?

4. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Extreme Android User

If you downloaded a pirated app (which you did), there's reason to be concerned. Solution? Download from legit sources like the Market, the Amazon Appstore, Getjar, etc.....

danaj and UMP like this.
  5. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy

Considering that widgetlocker has never been free (to my knowledge) and the site's name was censored out, I would say it was an illegitimate app. If you're absolutely worried about it, performing a factory reset (that deletes anything that has been installed since you unboxed it) would clear out anything. Considering you have a GS2, I doubt any generic malware attacks would successfully have done anything other than install spyware that can be removed by a factory reset.

Please do not link to sites that host apps that you don't have to pay for but you have to pay for them on Google Play, even if you're trying to validate if they are legitimate sites to download from. I would suggest that you only get your apps from Google Play, Amazon AppStore (if in the US) and/or GetJar. When in doubt, feel free to ask the site staff here in a PM (please don't post it openly). Anyone with a moderator or guide tag will be more than happy to answer your questions, myself included.

UMP likes this.
  6. UMP

UMP Lurker

Thanks guys, I've learned my lesson. I will do a factory reset now.