1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Installed Cog 3.04

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by soamelt, Jan 29, 2011.

1. soamelt

soamelt Newbie
    None

Dec 10, 2010
    I finally decided to "upgrade" to 2.2 by installing Cog 3.04, but now cannot receive incoming calls. My phone rings, but it doesn't register the incoming number and when I unlock it it says - "The process.com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." and then continues to ring until I force close. Anyone else have that problem after installing?

Advertisement

2. mttfrog13

mttfrog13 Android Enthusiast

May 5, 2010
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Everything worked for me. Try reflashing. What steps did you take when flashing?

soamelt likes this.
  3. soamelt

soamelt Newbie
    None

Dec 10, 2010
    Crap,I just did a master clear on Odin and now can't get passed the cognition start up screen. Please tell me I didn't just brick my phone!

4. soamelt

soamelt Newbie
    None

Dec 10, 2010

I followed the 3 part video steps.

5. DaddyWhale

DaddyWhale Member
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    I had similar problems. I believe what I did wrong was I used Titanium Backup to restore all my apps and system settings. There may be conflicts between the backed-up system setting (from Eclair) and Cognition 3.04 (Froyo).

When I redid the flashing and only restored missing apps using Titanium everything started working again.

Hope this helps.

DW

soamelt likes this.
  6. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto
    None

Sep 14, 2010
    Pilates Instructor
    South of Boston, MA
    It is extremely important to not restore system settings between ROMs. Just apps and data.

soamelt likes this.
  7. artvandalay22222

artvandalay22222 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    DETROIT MI!
    Also, I had similar problem because I copied both the internal and external memory cards completely, the chopped them back. Don't do that, only copy things like pictures back on.

soamelt likes this.
  8. mttfrog13

mttfrog13 Android Enthusiast

May 5, 2010
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    From what i've heard is that usually as long as your phone turns on at all, its not permanently bricked.

Anyway like the other guys were saying, when using titanium backup, try only backup and restore "user apps". I manually export and import my contacts.

soamelt likes this.
  9. Tweakrr

Tweakrr Lurker
    None

Nov 19, 2010
    Should be fine, just start over again with odin to get it back to a usable state, then try putting cog on again.

10. soamelt

soamelt Newbie
    None

Dec 10, 2010
    I ended up finally getting it working. I used Odin to make it go into recovery mode (the root zip files weren't there anymore). I was then able to boot the phone up to a black home screen (it said setup.wizard couldn't start), but could still access the notification bar to mount the USB and copy the root zip and cog.zip as well and re flash.

Once I got it working, I just used Tit-bu to reinstall the system settings. I then just re downloaded all my apps (it was excuse to purge a number of them that I no longer used).

My phone is working faster/smoother than I every remember now.

Thanks for the help and tips everyone!

11. iffrett

iffrett Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 30, 2010
    Engineering Student
    Toronto, Canada
    how is the battery life ? I'm still getting about the same as stock eclair (1 day with wifi) with cog 3.04...

12. thindery

thindery Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 14, 2010
    Finance
    Missouri

I don't think battery life is anything to brag about, but its not bad at all either.

I did try to flash the hardcore kernel with cog 3.04 and it killed my battery. I did notice a smother experience but battery drain was horrible. I'm talking it was down to about 30% left in about 4 hours and all it did was sit in my pocket those 4 hours.

13. soamelt

soamelt Newbie
    None

Dec 10, 2010

It's definitely not any worse. I've been using it pretty heavily since I flashed it and it may actually even be better than before (I've also been viewing a decent amount of flash sites as well). Overall, I think the battery sucks, but I did come from an iPhone (3G) which blew the Captivate's battery away. Which is one of only two things I really miss about the Iphone, the other being visual vm which I fixed with Google Voice. Although I don't think it's quite as good as the native vm on the iPhone.

14. Timberline

Timberline Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 23, 2010
    Rocky Mountains
    I haven't measured it to have a percentage answer for you, but I do notice a slight improvement over Eclair. I'd have to say "noticeable but not dramatic" is probably the best way I can describe the battery life improvement.