• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Installed Task Killer, doubled battery life

Hopefully to end this thread:

Any phone running any application that uses resources will drain your battery. Depending on what resources are accessed and what it is doing, it can drain more or less. Some run in the background, others are active, others just can't be closed by normal means because they have a system use.

Like Windows Mobile devices without task killers, when you "X" out an application, it does not mean that you closed the application all the time. Some would be "minimized" to the background and running. "Out of sight, out of mind"

Task killers access most if not all running applications/processes, active or background and sometimes even system processes depending on the task killer you use. Some of these processes are shared between applications. So when you kill one process, you can essentially stop many applications from functioning. This is where error messages can pop up.

So while task killers can save tons of battery life, it can essentially "kill" the functionality of your phone. If you bought the Evo, its because of what the phone itself can do. Granted you would much rather have the application actually close when you hit the "back" button on the Evo but not all applications close out. So they will sit there killing your battery.

So what it boils down to is: do you take the better battery life or applications crashing, error messages or having to do a full wipe on your phone back to stock? If you are tech savvy and like messing around with your phone, by all means use your task killer and find out through trial and error what applications you can kill without causing problems. It will improve your battery. If you don't know what you are doing, know that using task killers can cause problems with your applications and cause random problems.

So if you are not sure what any of this meant, don't use task killers and get another battery or carry a charger. Those who feel comfortable troubleshooting and reflashing your phones if things eventually go horribly wrong, etc you can use a task killer. It's your phone.

Task killers are the CTRL ALT DEL of Android phones. Thats one way to put it. If you CTRL ALT DEL anything and everything you will eventually screw something up on your PC but if you know what to close you can speed up your PC. Same thing for Android.

Like what 81_ said. If you just restart your phone every day, it will do the same thing without any issues.

<3

Reactions: sagedil
Upvote 0
i personally have noticed horrible battery life on ATK. i think that the app wakes up the phone in order to kill when in auto-kill mode. thats just a theory of course. i still have it and only use it to kill battery draining apps. every now and then i'll open it and realize there was a game or something that i forgot to exit out of properly.

Upvote 0
I was sort of being sarcastic, from OP claiming to doubling battery life from installing ATK.

Before ATK - phone would die near 5-6pm.

Now it goes past the next morning if I want it to.

I can easily stop ATK from running and my phone will again die quickly.

Just reporting what I see... and from all the reviews, this phone is known for bad battery life. How people get those insane uptimes of 20-30 hours, I have no idea. I've never gotten that unless I flat turn off all data connectivity and never touch the thing.

I was hoping for a good Froyo build soon, but as I'm already rooted, maybe I'll just get Fresh's latest Evo build.

Upvote 0
I was gonna post "I uninstalled ATK and doubled my battery". Being totally honest. Well maybe not DOUBLED, but I highly doubt OP is getting twice the time with it.

Doubt all you want. My phone goes from 7am till near noon the next day. Without ATK, I got till 5-6pm the same day before it started to give me low battery warnings.

I also use Battery Left widget. You can set it to tell you what time your battery will die. Turn ATK off and my time starts decreasing FAST. Turn it on and it starts to increase.

Just what I'm seeing. Good God, you guys swear I'm on here to post bullshit for no reason! All I'm saying is that this phone does great with battery life if the Sprint bloatware isn't allowed to run.

Upvote 0
Hopefully to end this thread:

Any phone running any application that uses resources will drain your battery. Depending on what resources are accessed and what it is doing it can drain more or less. Some run in the background, others are active, others just can't be closed because they have a system use.

Like Windows Mobile devices without task killers, when you "X" out an application, it does not mean that you closed the application. It would be "minimized" to the background and running. "Out of sight, out of mind"

Task killers access most if not all running applications, active or background and sometimes even system processes depending on the task killer you use. Some of these processes are shared between applications. So when you kill one process, you can essentially stop many applications from functioning. This is where error messages can pop up.

So while task killers can save tons of battery life, its essentially "kills" the functionality of your phone. If you bought the Evo, its because of what the phone itself can do. Granted you would much rather have the application actually close when you hit the "back" button on the Evo but not all applications close out. So they will sit there killing your battery.

So what it boils down to is: do you take the better battery life or applications crashing, error messages or having to do a full wipe on your phone back to stock? If you are tech savvy and like messing around with your phone, by all means use your task killer and find out through trial and error what applications you can kill without causing problems. It will improve your battery. If you don't know what you are doing, know that using task killers can cause problems with your applications and cause random problems.

So if you are not sure what any of this meant, don't use task killers and get another battery or carry a charger. Those who feel comfortable troubleshooting and reflashing your phones, etc you can use a task killer. It's your phone.

Task killers are the CTRL ALT DEL of Android phones. Thats one way to put it. If you CTRL ALT DEL anything and everything you will eventually screw something up on your PC. Same thing for Android.

Like what 81_ said. If you just restart your phone every day, it will do the same thing without any issues.

<3

Have it set to the lowest level of security so it can only see user-level apps, not anything deep. Have everything I use regularly (browser, Facebook, Twitter, Handcent.... set to ignore). Pretty much only kills the Sprint Bloatware.

I have no issues with the 'functionality' of my phone. Everything works perfectly, updates happen normally, notifications are fine, emails and texts come in all the time, data functions flawlessly. Only side effect is a DOUBLED battery life because the bloatware can't run all the time.

I'm sorry if newbies get on here and load ATK to kill everything under the sun. This is an Android forum that nerds/geeks tend to frequent, not uneducated people. Just stating that the bloatware on the Evo really ruin battery life, it seems.

Upvote 0
Have it set to the lowest level of security so it can only see user-level apps, not anything deep. Have everything I use regularly (browser, Facebook, Twitter, Handcent.... set to ignore). Pretty much only kills the Sprint Bloatware.

I have no issues with the 'functionality' of my phone. Everything works perfectly, updates happen normally, notifications are fine, emails and texts come in all the time, data functions flawlessly. Only side effect is a DOUBLED battery life because the bloatware can't run all the time.

I'm sorry if newbies get on here and load ATK to kill everything under the sun. This is an Android forum that nerds/geeks tend to frequent, not uneducated people. Just stating that the bloatware on the Evo really ruin battery life, it seems.

Wasn't directing it at you or anyone. Just stating that any application can kill battery life. Sprint does have many problems on the Evo and other phones where their stupid apps kill battery life.

Theres a lot of people that come on here registered or not that look for advice from people who know what they are doing. When they hear about task killers and see doubles battery life they generally don't go through every post to see whats good or not. They download and kill everything and then start raging when their phones start crapping out lol.

Sad but true.

Upvote 0

If all you're killing is the Sprint bloatware I have a really hard time believing the "doubled" claim. Sorry, but when I check my phone with a tool like system panel in logging mode, those apps just don't use any resources when they're sitting in the background. The only exception is Sprint Nav, which can continue to ping the GPS radio if you don't actually exit the app.

Upvote 0
If you're rooted as you claim, and you're improving batterylife through killing bloatware, why not just go the extra simple step and just remove/uninstall the bloatware? This is assuming you have nand unlocked (who doesn't nowadays?)
I'm on fresh 1.0.1 and I easily last 10-12hrs a day with moderate-heavy usage. No atk in sight. I've had my share of problems with ATK, and I'm just expressing that there are better ways to conserve than ATK.

Upvote 0
I only use my Task Killer if i have to.. and when i do.. i to it MANUALLY.

If one of my apps gets hung up or internet app gets weird or laggy, or even when i get errors on text messages.

Ill manually go in an kill those apps (ignorning all others). This usually solves any hang ups. Then I kill the app killer to close it.

Same here, open it, close stuff as/when needed, and close the Task Killer. Havent had any problems with it, and maybe 2 force closes in the now 30 days ive had my phone, which most likely were from the app I was using, not ATK.

Upvote 0
If you're rooted as you claim, and you're improving batterylife through killing bloatware, why not just go the extra simple step and just remove/uninstall the bloatware? This is assuming you have nand unlocked (who doesn't nowadays?)
I'm on fresh 1.0.1 and I easily last 10-12hrs a day with moderate-heavy usage. No atk in sight. I've had my share of problems with ATK, and I'm just expressing that there are better ways to conserve than ATK.

Running Cyanogen RC1 of Android 2.2 now.

No ATK running anymore. No bloatware.

FROYO ROCKS THIS DEVICE. Only thing now working is 4G so far, and as 4G is barely faster and has horrible reception to begin with, I'm fine with it. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones