1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

installing a larger sd card

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 767pilot, Apr 19, 2012.

1. 767pilot

767pilot Newbie

I am trying to install a larger sd card on my rooted DROID x. I read that all you have to do is copy the old files to a folder on your desk top, put in the new card, and copy them back. This didn't work for me. I was asked several times if I wanted to use the existing or the new folders when there was a duplicate. I didnt know how to answer that one and sometimes tried yes and sometimes no with no apparent success.

After doing this I got behaviors such as lock ups and appear that didn't seem installed.

Can some give me a better step by step set of instructions for dummies?

Thanks
    Ps..I don't know if it mattered but my desktop didn't read the sd cards so I did the file transfers with the usb cord while in usb mode.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Weegie5

Weegie5 Newbie

I'm having a similar issue with my X since I put in the 32GB card over the weekend, not as bad as yours though. I transferred files from the card to the PC via a microSD card adapter.

I'm hoping someone can point out the issue. Thanks to anyone who can provide some insight.

3. 767pilot

767pilot Newbie

Yes, someone please help us. I found that my lagoon would read the cards so I tried it that way with no better success. It seems as though we are missing hidden files or something. I hate the idea of wiping the phone and just starting over.

4. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert

I haven't switched cards (and will switch phones before I get to that point), but this is the process I would use:
    Take old card out of phone
    Put old card in computer
    Copy contents of old card onto computer
    (while the copying is going on) Put new (blank) card in phone
    Format new card in phone
    Take the new card out of phone
    (once copying is complete) Take old card out of computer
    Put new card in computer
    Erase any files that might be on new card
    Copy files from computer onto new card
    Put new card in phone

5. 767pilot

767pilot Newbie

With the exception of erasing the files that are placed on the formatted card, that's how I did it. I'll try that step next time.

6. Barkleyfan

Barkleyfan Well-Known Member

Sounds like there were already files on the card. Wipe the card, then drag the copy into a clean card. You should have zero issues.

7. 767pilot

767pilot Newbie

Would you think it matters which machine, the laptop or the phone, the card was formatted in?

8. Barkleyfan

Barkleyfan Well-Known Member

Dunno. Older windows machines had issues formatting iirc. I would wipe in phone just to be safe.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews