• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help installing Android L on the Note 4

xhaytham

Lurker
Oct 14, 2014
Hi,

I've tried the new Note 4 and I fell in love with it but I only have one concern. Since I love Nexus and HTC, generally I like to use a plain version of Android.
I am wondering if I can install the new Android L on the Note 4, and change the entire OS, settings, graphics everything..

Please advise.

Thank you.

Hi,

I've tried the new Note 4 and I fell in love with it but I only have one concern. Since I love Nexus and HTC, generally I like to use a plain version of Android.
I am wondering if I can install the new Android L on the Note 4, and change the entire OS, settings, graphics everything..

Please advise.

Thank you.

Only if you root your phone and install a custom rom like cyanogenmod. You'd lose all your s pen features though .Not an option for me as I'm on AT&T with a locked bootloader.

Upvote 0
I think both devices will get the updates in relatively close proximity to each other. I definitely see the Note 4 getting it quickly.

The only possibility of a delay for the S5 that I can see is if they focus on rolling out the S6 instead. The S5 (and S4, possibly) would still get it eventually, but would be delayed until the S6 rollout was completed.

The delay will be the carriers, tbh. Samsung will drop the update long before the carriers release them. They have to integrate/overlay their own stuff first.

Upvote 0
Between the complexities of Touchwiz and the balancing act that Verizon and Samsung have to pull in order to prevent all that bloatware from taking down the phone, I simply assume any Verizon Samsung product is going to be slow at getting system updates. It's part of why Google has taken so many apps out of the OS and instead pushed them directly through Google Play.

Upvote 0
I don't think the note 4 will receive it soon. December or even January is my guess. Samsung aren't very quick at new versions, especially on the note series and they need to load on s pen and samsung software. HTC and NVIDIA seems to be the quickest past the post aside from the new nexus'.

Works fine on kitkat and I don't see anything additional that excites me in Lollipop at this stage. If you want the them, download Nova and use theirs...

I digress...looks like the sd card is being unlocked :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones