1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Installing Android Market apps while overseas

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by ndwgolf, Nov 28, 2011.

1. ndwgolf

ndwgolf Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 16, 2010
    Oil Rig Worker
    Malaysia
    Guys,
    I am living in Malaysia and have a contract SIM card that has full international Roaming etc etc.
    I have just bought a new Galaxy Nexus in the UK and will be in the UK next week to pick it up (Cant wait).
    Anyway my question is will I be able to install apps from the Andriod Market (free and paid apps) while I am in the UK??
    I do have a UK SIM with o2 that I used on my iPhone with internet access in case my Malay SIM won't allow me to access the Market.
    Any help would be much appreciated

Advertisement

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Welcome to AF :D

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't have access to the market unless it is a country that blocks market access (I am almost 100% sure the UK isn't one of these countries) I also believe the UK does have access to paid apps, not all countries do. I do think that the prices for paid apps will be in the local currencies to where you are at.

3. ndwgolf

None

Jan 16, 2010
    Oil Rig Worker
    Malaysia
    I checked with my service provider here in KL and they confirmed that I will be OK

4. ndwgolf

None

Jan 16, 2010
    Oil Rig Worker
    Malaysia
    Sorry another question;
    I will be in the UK on Tuesday and will use my UK SIM in the phone
    1. Will I have to register the new galaxy nexus on the market, to install apps?
    2. If the answer to above is yes will I have a problem when I get back home to Malaysia to register the phone in malaysia and install apps there
    3. Any must have apps that I should install

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    That only involves entering your Google account details into the device, then you'll be able to install apps from the Market.

You don't actually register a device to a particular country. I never registered my UK purchased Galaxy S phone for China, well apart from inserting a prepaid China Mobile SIM. AFAICT what's available in the Market is based on the IP address of the country you're actually in. I don't see paid apps, only the free ones. But when I went to Hong Kong during the summer, I had paid apps available in the Market.

According to this...
    Supported locations for distributing applications - Android Market for Developer Help
    ...paid apps are NOT available in Malaysia. So you'd better grab them while you're in the UK.

Don't even know why Google does this country IP-address lockout business. With the iTunes App Store what you get is based on the country of your credit card. I could still purchase apps for an iOS device with a UK card, even though I'm in Mainland China.

Sorry can't help here, never bought any paid apps.