1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Installing Android on any PC

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Sionet, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Sionet

Sionet Newbie

Android for any PC

Can anyone please direct me to simple reliable URL to download an ISO for a USB or preferably a CD to install a reliable Android on any PC either to test temporary in RAM or a full install if necessary deleting all first on the hard drive.

Thanks Gordon

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

Hi

Not sure if what you seek exists yet, but have a look here http://www.jide.com/en/remixos-for-pc It runs from a usb stick but does not work on "any" PC - should be OK if its Intel and fairly recent. (with USB 3 port)

3. Sionet

Sionet Newbie

Thanks I have managed to download the 700 Mb Zip even with my slow BT Fibre broadband of only just over 15 Mps and see unlike some it has some instructions. I will keep all here informed of my efforts

Actually I bought a CD supposed to install Android on a PC etc. which works quite well safely just in RAM. But when attempting to install on the drive it failed to recognise one PC and with another insisted I reformatted the whole drive first then once installed just kept rebooting the PC. Another ISO I downloaded had the file ext. of iso2 which of course Nero failed to recognise and burn to USB or Disk.

4. Sionet

Sionet Newbie

I tried to install the ISO and burn it to a spare flash drive. But it uses a very complex program instead of allowing say Nero to burn the ISO. As a result it appeared to get stuck at 93% though all the files seem to be on the flash drive. However someone has assumed everyone now only uses 64 bit, but due to the many software I use the only use I have for 64 bit is a slow Toshiba Laptop which I cannot alter the bios to boot up a flash drive.

5. svim

svim Extreme Android User

6. Sionet

Sionet Newbie

Thanks I will look into it. But to be honest I have an old PC still with 32 bit Windows XP, very slow and obviously unsafe to use online. So I would really love to install an Android on it and not to have to worry about using the Internet and with a free anti virus. The version on a CD works ok even with a mouse and non touch screen but only in RAM

7. svim

svim Extreme Android User

I like VirtualBox but as it runs another OS as a virtual machine it does require an adequate host computer with some system resources to spare. I was just speculating you wanted to run Remix OS as more of an experiment than an actual operating system. From all I've read it's still not the most stable OS environment and don't forget Android is a touch screen biased system. If you've got a dated PC and want to run a current OS, you should give Linux some serious consideration.

#7 svim, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    girolez and argedion like this.
  8. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

Hi

Maybe have a look at Chromixium - linux based on Ubuntu which looks and behaves like Chrome OS (as on chromebooks). There are 32 and 64 bit versions.

EDIT I have just now read that this distribution has today announced that it is changing its name (courtesy of Googles insistence) to Cub Linux and can be found on cublinux.com (and chromixium.org for now)

#8 girolez, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  9. Sionet

Sionet Newbie

Thanks yes I ran Mint for some time on an old PC with only 1 Gb of RAM after found Ubuntu much to slow with only 1 GB. Also I converted some of my Windows programs to run in Debian Linux as at http://www.sigord.co.uk/Submits/Software.htm

10. Mark Peterson

Mark Peterson Newbie

Virtual Box is one of the best option.