• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Installing Apps directly to SD card

Just bought a Galaxy Prevail. Trying to figure out how to directly install apps to the sd card. Where can I go to read up on this? Can anyone help me??? Please???? :)

Thanks,
Robin
Here's an app that will detect and assist you in moving the movable ones to the sd card.

apps2sd card.

Along with some additional info...on moving the ones you already have installed: Go into Settings ---> Applications ---> Manage Applications and wait for this list to be populated with not just the applications but the amount of memory they are using up. Select a larger app and on the next screen if the the app can be moved to the SD card you'll be able to push the Move to SD button. Repeat the process for each app.

Upvote 0
The problem is a peculiarity of how Samsung organizes it's memory. At least, this is how it is on the Galaxy Player, but I suspect it is generally the same on Samsung phones.

What the system calls the SD card (mnt/sdcard) is actually the internal memory (I have 8GB, but with only between 6 and 6GB accessible to user). When you ask to "Move app to SD," This is where it goes.

The external microSD card is actually mounted as a folder on th "SD Card" (mnt/sdcard/external_SD) and the Manage Programs settings nor any third party apps are able to redirect to this folder.

I suspect it was done this way so that Samsung wouldn't have to use different software for devices that have and don't have SD card slots. I do wish some clever developer would come up with a way to fool the system.

Apps that have an option setting for what folders to look in for data (Office apps, music apps, etc) are fine with using the external SD card.

Upvote 0
PC management tool-Moborobo. It allows you to install App to SD card directly. I feel that is convenient! See the picture below! I think you may like it!

When touting an app, it helps your readers if you provide links. All I could find is...

Mobo Launcher
Mobo Play
Mobo Read

...and none of them mentions installing directly to SD, that I could see, let alone think possible. I presume you mean their launcher?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones