• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Installing apps on your external sdcard instead of the internal one??

MetroPOS

Android Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2011
South FL
Is it possible to do this on the Esteem after rooting? Cause right now, if you install a game for example, and it makes you do a large download of a bunch of data the first time you run it (the higher quality HD/Open GL games usually are like this), it places that data onto the internal SD card instead of your external card. I just installed a game from the market that makes you download 500mb worth of additional data...so if I get a couple more games with space requirements like this, my internal sd is going to be filled up pretty soon. Wondering if there's some way you could tell the file system & apps to start looking on the external card by default instead of the internal card default. I know you can't do this stock, so I'm wondering if rooting could make this possible

Is it possible to do this on the Esteem after rooting? Cause right now, if you install a game for example, and it makes you do a large download of a bunch of data the first time you run it (the higher quality HD/Open GL games usually are like this), it places that data onto the internal SD card instead of your external card. I just installed a game from the market that makes you download 500mb worth of additional data...so if I get a couple more games with space requirements like this, my internal sd is going to be filled up pretty soon. Wondering if there's some way you could tell the file system & apps to start looking on the external card by default instead of the internal card default. I know you can't do this stock, so I'm wondering if rooting could make this possible

from my experience, using a2sd for this type of game doesnt work to well.. the sd card cant read the info fast enough for the game to play correctly.. from my experience

Upvote 0
from my experience, using a2sd for this type of game doesnt work to well.. the sd card cant read the info fast enough for the game to play correctly.. from my experience

When I installed games onto sd card on Indulge they didn't run slow at all. No offense, but looking at the phones you own/have owned, they've mostly been POS phones so maybe that is why they ran slower? :D

Upvote 0
When I installed games onto sd card on Indulge they didn't run slow at all. No offense, but looking at the phones you own/have owned, they've mostly been POS phones so maybe that is why they ran slower? :D

lol.. i actually havent had any issues with phones running slow lol.. or games for that matter, i know enough about how they work to make them run better, i have only ever tried one game that didnt work.. it was on my huawei ascend, which admittedly was a POS, it was some free game from metro that required an additional 100mb download.. which with that phone.. had to be installed on the sd card. and it wouldnt work. i dont know if you know anything about how the Darktrems A2sd script works, but it bascially makes you phone think its installing to internal memory, when its installing to the sdcard. this is the type of A2sd i am talking about. going to your application management screen and hitting the move to SD button in no way helps your phone. the point i was trying to make with my previous post is this. your SD card is SLOW.. at max and i mean if you go out and pay a rediculous amount for a high end SD card, you will get a 16mbps read and write speed. your phones internal memory is RAM, the read and write speed is measured in the hundreds and in some cases, thousands of mbps. therefore your better off not moving it tot he sd card.. it has nothing to do with the performance of the phone itself,, iit is a limitation of the memory you are using.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones