1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Installing apps to Wifi/File browser-less tablet

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Android Question

Hello!
    I just got a nvidia shield tablet which is unfortunately has faulty wi-fi, and nvidia won't be able to replace it for nearly a week since RMA department is still off of work for the weekend and it'll take time to proccess/ship. For whatever reason, nvidia decided not to include a file browser by default, so I can't figure out how to open/install APK files transferred from my computer. The closest thing I can get is accessing the "downloads" menu and navigating to the app, but I'm unable to open it for some reason.
    I tried ADB, but the drivers don't work for it, at least not currently.
    Any suggestions on how I can install any apps? Obviously the first app I should install is some sort of file explorer but as I said, I can't figure out how.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Have you go the option to install from "unknown sources" enabled (should be in settings > security)? If not, enable that then try via the "downloads" app again.

If that doesn't help we'll probably need some more information before we can answer this. For that you'd need to either post again, or register (free) and reply to this thread.

My first thought was "adb", so if the drivers aren't working trying to work out how to get them working is the obvious next step. But we'd need to know what OS you are using before we could help much with this.

Similarly, if unknown sources is enabled it might help if we knew what did happen/what messages you get when you try to open the file via downloads (though that's probably a long shot).

3. Artix

Artix Lurker

Alright, I registered.

I enabled "Unknown Sources" but the "Downloads" app literally does not even open the apk file. Clicking the apk file does nothing.

The tablet has a recording software integrated, I'll record the tablet, show what's wrong and then upload it to google drive/youtube (I can transfer the video file to my computer)

4. Artix

Artix Lurker

I recorded it and uploaded it
    It's hosted on Drive since I can't load the YouTube uploader for some reason.
    You can view the video here

EDIT: I noticed you said something about ADB as well. I'm on Windows 7.